U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 02:57 PM

15 posts, read 79,937 times

Advertisements

I also have a TON of tomatoes that are ALL green. There are so many idea's in here but don't know who to believe.....lol.

Maybe I'll call a plqace that sells them. I'm sure there are many many ways to get them to get red but I really don't have that long to wait. I didn't use the wire things to hold them off of the ground this year.

I totaly forgot to buy them. Most of my tomatoes are sitting on the ground and will rotten if i don't do something soon.

Thanks guys for the information anyway.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 10:06 PM

12,967 posts, read 24,006,718 times
I put green tomatoes in a paper bag, and they turn green after about a day. You can also use newspaper, and they'll ripen. I planted one patio tomato plant in a large pot as an experiment. It's really done well, and I staked it up with a dowel. It grew to about 3' high, and has produced lots of tomatoes, but they don't get very big. Next year, I'm planning to plant three tomato plants, one of them a cherry tomato plant, and cucumbers in garbage cans.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:31 AM

517 posts, read 2,240,968 times
Why garbage cans? I only harvested one cucumber this summer due to pests and inexperience (first foray into veggie gardening). How does the garbage can planter work?

Old 08-09-2009, 05:55 PM

855 posts, read 2,124,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If it's been cool, especially at night, tomatoes will ripen more slowly. A warm night or two will help things along.
That was the case with ours. I planted them back in early May and they were going pretty well through June but July was the coolest on record here and a little on the dry side. We've had a couple of weeks of warmer weather and now they're coming around.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:56 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
keep em on the vine long as possible them put em in a paper bag.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:29 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I am enjoying a day off today, and puttering in the garden, and getting a little nervous with the chilly temps over the weekend... My roma tomatoes have ALOT of fruit, but not a single red or even pink tomato as of this morning. My Sweet 100's have produced many MANY fruit, and while they're ripening ever so slowly, at least we're able to get a little harvest out of them (less than 10 each day are ripe on 4 plants)

I also am growing 3 varieties of peppers, JalapeŮo, Sweet Italian, and regular bell peppers. the fruit looks great, but nothing is turning red

Is anyone else in MA or NH having this issue? I know we have a short growing season but this is just crazy. Hopefully the warm-up this week will get some ripening action going... otherwise it's going to be "Fried green tommy-toes anyone??" (in which case I'll need a recipe )
Here in Minnesota we are FINALLY getting some 90 degree days, and I think my tomatoes, of which there are many, will finally start to ripen!

Old 08-12-2009, 03:43 PM

791 posts, read 1,246,736 times
I've had a very good season, two on the sill remain, and the vines are burnt up. I'll pull them up soon and plant collard plants.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:57 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,430,139 times
I have always heard that tomatoes turn red "at night" and that you need mild nights for this to happen. We live in mid-Maine and this is the first time "ever" that we have had them turn red before the first of Sept. I had a small crop but they were tasty. If your nights are below 60 you should bring them in - preferably on the vine and they should turn red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or