U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:15 PM

4,057 posts, read 7,827,686 times

Advertisements

I am enjoying a day off today, and puttering in the garden, and getting a little nervous with the chilly temps over the weekend... My roma tomatoes have ALOT of fruit, but not a single red or even pink tomato as of this morning. My Sweet 100's have produced many MANY fruit, and while they're ripening ever so slowly, at least we're able to get a little harvest out of them (less than 10 each day are ripe on 4 plants)

I also am growing 3 varieties of peppers, JalapeŮo, Sweet Italian, and regular bell peppers. the fruit looks great, but nothing is turning red

Is anyone else in MA or NH having this issue? I know we have a short growing season but this is just crazy. Hopefully the warm-up this week will get some ripening action going... otherwise it's going to be "Fried green tommy-toes anyone??" (in which case I'll need a recipe )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 01:24 PM

3,093 posts, read 6,407,835 times
LOVE Fried Green tomatoes...got 2 in the fridge so I can have them with my fried chicken...yeap having a southern food attack today.

INGREDIENTS:
* 4 to 6 green tomatoes
* salt and pepper
* cornmeal
* bacon grease or vegetable oil

PREPARATION:
Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 - 1/2-inch slices. Salt and pepper them to taste. Dip in meal and fry in hot grease or oil about 3 minutes or until golden on bottom. Gently turn and fry the other side. Serve as a side dish - delicious with breakfast!

Since there only 2 of us, I'm adjusting the recipe. Liz

Old 08-20-2007, 04:38 PM

303 posts, read 1,005,957 times
Paper bag to ripen?? It has been an especially cool summer this year. I wonder if that may be the problem

Old 08-20-2007, 04:38 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,077,875 times
Valerie,

Back off on the watering a bit and it will encourage your tomatoes to ripen. Last year I had so many tomatoes that weren't quite ready before our first frost so I cut the vines with the tomatoes on them and put them in the garage. They continued to ripen on the vine and I had tomatoes well into Nov. !

Old 08-20-2007, 04:44 PM

13,327 posts, read 30,108,060 times
I agree about watering less, and the other advice as well.
Green tomatoes, especially if they have that little white "star" at the bottom of the fruit, usually ripen really well in a basement or paper bag.
Even without the star they will turn color, but the flavor might not be as good.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:42 PM

617 posts, read 488,215 times
Cutting down into the ground around the root base will give the plant the message to ripen. Thats all you need to do to quicken the pace of maturation.
Foodmuse

Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,418,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Valerie,

Back off on the watering a bit and it will encourage your tomatoes to ripen. Last year I had so many tomatoes that weren't quite ready before our first frost so I cut the vines with the tomatoes on them and put them in the garage. They continued to ripen on the vine and I had tomatoes well into Nov. !

Did you put them in something in the garage? We have a bumper crop of tomatoes this year but just got about 10" of rain in the past week so I think that will slow the ripening.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:15 AM

25,437 posts, read 31,935,289 times
If it's been cool, especially at night, tomatoes will ripen more slowly. A warm night or two will help things along.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:45 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,077,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Did you put them in something in the garage? We have a bumper crop of tomatoes this year but just got about 10" of rain in the past week so I think that will slow the ripening.
Actually I put them in a box, nothing fancy, as I did not have a lot of space to lay them out on a newspaper. These were cherry tomatoes so I had oodles of them. I did have some larger tomatoes, celebrity variety, and those I put on the counter with newspaper underneath.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:54 PM

15 posts, read 58,985 times
hhfhfg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden