Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 05:05 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times

Advertisements

I loved salted and roasted Peanuts. Especially in a bottle of Diet Coke. My only encounter with "boiled Peanuts" was way back in the 1980's when I was an owner/operator in the trucking business. I live in Nebraska and have the typical midwest accent. I was in South Georgia and had stopped at a back roads convenience store. I grabbed a cold Coca Cola out of the cooler and was looking for a snack when I noticed a bunch of brown paper bags on the counter. I had never seen anything quite like them so I asked the young lady behind the counter what they were. I swear it sounded like she said "Bull penises". This sort of shocked me so I asked her again. Again I heard her say "Bull Penises!". Another customer was listening in and he offered to translate into Midwest speak. He said those are "Boiled Peanuts". I bought a bag but I can't say I really liked them. I prefer them roasted, salted and in my Coke.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 06:01 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I loved salted and roasted Peanuts. Especially in a bottle of Diet Coke. My only encounter with "boiled Peanuts" was way back in the 1980's when I was an owner/operator in the trucking business. I live in Nebraska and have the typical midwest accent. I was in South Georgia and had stopped at a back roads convenience store. I grabbed a cold Coca Cola out of the cooler and was looking for a snack when I noticed a bunch of brown paper bags on the counter. I had never seen anything quite like them so I asked the young lady behind the counter what they were. I swear it sounded like she said "Bull penises". This sort of shocked me so I asked her again. Again I heard her say "Bull Penises!". Another customer was listening in and he offered to translate into Midwest speak. He said those are "Boiled Peanuts". I bought a bag but I can't say I really liked them. I prefer them roasted, salted and in my Coke.

GL2
If you had them in a brown bag; they were not the good ones. You want the ones served hot out of a Crock Pot. They usually sell two kinds down South: regular, boiled in a salt brine, and Cajun. They are a little messy to eat; but well worth the mess.

Actually; I found cans of boiled peanuts in my local supermarket in their ethnic selection. They were not bad – but not as good as the ones down South.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:52 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
The first ones I ever tasted were from a can; and to be honest, I liked them.
But those I've been cooking myself are so much better.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
[quote=fisheye;21573951]...snipped...
However; I was originally born in the old Smithfield ham territory in VA (my parents moved me up to PA when I was only a year old). My grandmother, in Virginia, used to serve those hams that she scrapped the mold off - the ones that tasted like they sprinkled ham flavoring on the salt block. Fortunately there was a new study that suggested that high salt intake was actually good for us!...snipped...
[quote]I bugged my daughter in Charlotte to send me a Smithfield ham one year for Christmas. It was the kind you had to boil, etc, etc. I finally gave it away because I really didn't know how to prepare it.....I never told her. I have had that dry, salt cured kind of ham up in the Carolinas @ a Shoney's no less. I snuck some out from the buffet and a couple of biscuits, to carry up the road with me. Also a gallon of water......

I have heard them called "biled" peanuts.....LOL and that wasn't meant derogatory (sp) just the local pronunciation...gotta love the South....<s> I love this thread.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:01 PM

[quote=AnnieA;26125999][quote=fisheye;21573951]...snipped...
However; I was originally born in the old Smithfield ham territory in VA (my parents moved me up to PA when I was only a year old). My grandmother, in Virginia, used to serve those hams that she scrapped the mold off - the ones that tasted like they sprinkled ham flavoring on the salt block. Fortunately there was a new study that suggested that high salt intake was actually good for us!...snipped...
Quote:
I bugged my daughter in Charlotte to send me a Smithfield ham one year for Christmas. It was the kind you had to boil, etc, etc. I finally gave it away because I really didn't know how to prepare it.....I never told her. I have had that dry, salt cured kind of ham up in the Carolinas @ a Shoney's no less. I snuck some out from the buffet and a couple of biscuits, to carry up the road with me. Also a gallon of water......

I have heard them called "biled" peanuts.....LOL and that wasn't meant derogatory (sp) just the local pronunciation...gotta love the South....<s> I love this thread.
Have you seen the price of Smithfield hams today? Here is a link: Genuine Smithfield Hams - Genuine Smithfield Ham Perhaps you should ask for that ham back? Heck; if you tossed it in the safety deposit box it would have made you better money than the interest that the banks pay!

For $100 you can get your salt overdose on a lot of boiled peanuts.

I always loved my grandmother from Virginia home cooking. Lots of bacon fat on the beans and collard greens and those Smithfield hams – I did not know that they would get so expensive. My grandmother in PA was feeding me plenty of cow's tongues. They were very inexpensive fifty and sixty years ago – now they are $30. Times change and everything goes up.

So how was the peanut crop this year?

Old 09-19-2012, 01:47 PM

163 posts, read 295,409 times
Used to be you'd find them at small town roadside produce vendors and convenience stores here in nw Florida. The local gas station/store has them here most of the time in both reg. & cajun. Really good.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:56 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,148 times
When I lived in the South, I used to be able to find giant green peanuts in the supermarkets. Oh, how I loved them! We can't get them in the north at all...other than a small can of little peanuts.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
When I lived in the South, I used to be able to find giant green peanuts in the supermarkets. Oh, how I loved them! We can't get them in the north at all...other than a small can of little peanuts.
Many people have moved up North from down South. Many people have vacationed down South. You would think that somebody would catch on and try to make and sell fresh boiled peanuts up here!

It was always a highlight of the trucking runs that I made to Florida from PA. I used to grab a cup or two of them from a little truck stop in Georgia.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:02 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,148 times
Default Boiled Peanuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Many people have moved up North from down South. Many people have vacationed down South. You would think that somebody would catch on and try to make and sell fresh boiled peanuts up here!

It was always a highlight of the trucking runs that I made to Florida from PA. I used to grab a cup or two of them from a little truck stop in Georgia.
That's a great idea! I don't know why they can't ship some up here...those great big green ones! So delicious!

Old 06-24-2014, 12:06 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
That's a great idea! I don't know why they can't ship some up here...those great big green ones! So delicious!
they can

Hardy Farms Peanuts - Fresh Georgia Green Peanuts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden