Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 05:41 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times

Advertisements

Super Bloom, Bloom Plus or Miracle grow Bloom Booster fertilizers should do the trick. Follow the directions and water deeply about every 7-10 days.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,011 times
I have a red orelander dwarf bush that only bloomed once for a very short time in the Spring. I did fertilize in the Spring with a multipurpose fertilizer. This bush was planted about 1 1/2 years ago. As we are coming into Fall would it still be fine to add any of the bloom fertilizers? I am in the Phoenix, AZ area.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schindlerr View Post
I have a red orelander dwarf bush that only bloomed once for a very short time in the Spring. I did fertilize in the Spring with a multipurpose fertilizer. This bush was planted about 1 1/2 years ago. As we are coming into Fall would it still be fine to add any of the bloom fertilizers? I am in the Phoenix, AZ area.
Yes. Those oleanders grow nearly all year long in Phoenix. My red dwarfs bloom 6 months out of the year. I fertilize them 2-3 times annually with Bloom Plus.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:59 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schindlerr View Post
I agree on the fertilizing advice though I've seen others never fertilize them and they still bloom fine, red white, or pink. Wonder if it's a water issue/how often are you watering it? There are also many different variations of oleanders beyond the flower color and dwarf or full size. Wonder if you have a certain variety that's a bit more stubborn to bloom for our climate?

varieties

Old 09-23-2014, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,011 times
I am currently watering 1hr twice a week as well throughout the summer. I think with 2, 2gal emitters. Is that enough? Foliage looks great, but no flowers. If you recommend a different way of watering please let me know. I will get some of the bloom plus fertilizer and see if that makes any difference. Does anyone know anything on Bi-Color Iris. Mine looks very sad and it does not bloom yet. This has also been planted for about 1 1/2 years. Same watering as above.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:31 PM

I would suggest during the hot summer months on those oleanders no more than once a week & deep watering would be sufficient. Stressing out the plants encourages blooming on some plants and oleanders are one of them. In the cool months I water them once a month with about 5 gallons of water in well draining sandy soil. I use a water meter/probe shown below that tells me when to water whether the soil is wet or dry. Read it's instructions. Poke it down about 6 inches into the soil and read if it's wet or dry or normal and go from there. No need for complicated stuff.
It's all that is necessary and costs about $6-8.00 at most garden centers.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden