Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 05:50 AM

32 posts, read 115,945 times

Advertisements

We live in New Mexico, zone 7b I believe. It does get cold in the winter and occasionally snows. I was thinking of getting a greenhouse to do some winter gardening. I had a great first growing season this summer and fall. We even ate veggies from our garden.

I really want to be able to grow lettuce in the winter. Can I do this in a greenhouse? My daughter has leukemia and is still on treatment for another year. The ecoli lettuce issues scare the crap out of me because she is immune suppressed and if we were to get a bad batch of veggies, it would be very bad for her.

anyway, if there are any veggies i can grow in a greenhouse, that would be great. Would I need a heater in there? I know growing in a greenhouse has it's own learning curve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 11:33 AM

866 posts, read 1,137,566 times
I'm not an expert by any means, but I would think that any cool weather crops like lettuce,spinach,broccoli, brussel sprouts, peas/snowpeas could be grown in a greenhouse.
Suggest you contact the cooperative extension agent for your county and see if they can give you any info. Also do a google search of greenhouse planting as well as fall/winter planting guides for your area.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:17 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,765 times
HI
Go to the library and get a copy of Four-Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman
He talks about cold frame gardening in the winter..Lives in New England so
relates to your weather.
You might ask at your local Ag Extension Office if they have information on winter
gardening in New Mexico..
Good luck.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:19 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennsnoopy View Post
We live in New Mexico, zone 7b I believe. It does get cold in the winter and occasionally snows. I was thinking of getting a greenhouse to do some winter gardening. I had a great first growing season this summer and fall. We even ate veggies from our garden.

I really want to be able to grow lettuce in the winter. Can I do this in a greenhouse? My daughter has leukemia and is still on treatment for another year. The ecoli lettuce issues scare the crap out of me because she is immune suppressed and if we were to get a bad batch of veggies, it would be very bad for her.

anyway, if there are any veggies i can grow in a greenhouse, that would be great. Would I need a heater in there? I know growing in a greenhouse has it's own learning curve.
Maybe consider going to the Vegeterian forum http://www.city-data.com/forum/vegetarian-vegan-food/ and asking whether anyone there does greenhouse gardening. Perhaps they'd have some good ideas for you.

Best of luck with the gardening, and I pray that your daughter will recover completely from the leukemia.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:23 PM

200 posts, read 509,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennsnoopy View Post

It's very understandable why you would want to to raise fresh vegetables. However, it's probably a little late in the season to start a winter garden. I would suggest growing lettuce hydoponically indoors during the winter months. We have successfully used a unit manufactured by Aerogarden to grow lettuce and herbs during the colder months. You might want to check their online website for details.

Another possibility is to look into making a hoop-frame cold frame or purchasing a commercially made cold frame. I have made my own crude hoop-frames in the past. In late August I purchased a small European-made cold frame that is excellent. It's made of double polycarbonate walls and measures about 5 feet long by 2-1/2 feet wide and is accessible by three top windows. I have Swiss chard and various kinds of lettuce growing in it. It would also be something to consider for starting early spring plantings and for extended-season plantings next fall.

Earlier, someone mentioned Eliot Coleman's excellent Four-Season Harvest book. I have found it to be an invaluable resource for extended-season gardening. As Coleman explains, with protection, there are several vegetables that can be grown through most of the winter, including several European greens that aren't as familiar to us.

I wish you good gardening and best wishes for your daughter's complete recovery.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:13 PM

32 posts, read 115,945 times
Thanks everyone for the tips and book suggestions. Might just have to do some hefty research this winter to be prepared for next.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Do a search on hoop house gardening. Unfortunately you just missed a workshop in Santa Fe by a couple of weeks.

http://www.heritage.com/articles/201...2396189461.txt

Old 11-13-2011, 07:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
im just a beginner but we got low 40's f in the winter here.
i am trying to grow shard.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:56 PM

7 posts, read 48,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
im just a beginner but we got low 40's f in the winter here.
Swiss Replica Watches Replica Watches Swiss Replica Watch
i am trying to grow shard.
What on earth is shard? Like a shard of glass? You mean chard?

Old 11-14-2011, 02:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbakuk View Post
What on earth is shard? Like a shard of glass? You mean chard?
yes chard.
as you have noticed i am a beginner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden