Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 08:40 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times

Advertisements

You don't normally get pepper plants this big in zone 5. I still have 5 green bell peppers on the plants one week into November which is not too bad. I also just pickled some hot banana peppers. I probably got over 50 peppers per bell pepper plant and over a hundred on the banana peppers. I was able to do this because the plants will soon be 4 years old. Over winter them.

Overwintering Pepper Plants – How To Keep Peppers Over Winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:12 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
Amazing! Who knew you could keep them that long!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:40 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Those look awesome! I moved into this house last yr. ( sept. ) 3 different mater plants came up, I guess from the previous home owners. One is HUGE! All are different types, and all are still Loaded with tomatoes! I dont know how to save them, must be at least a 100, still green. I hate for them to go to waste, be ruined in our now cold weather. I dont can, but if they'd ripen, I'd give tons away. A neighbor told me to bring them in, put them on paper sacks & they ripen. Is that true? Good luck with those amazing peppers!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Those look awesome! I moved into this house last yr. ( sept. ) 3 different mater plants came up, I guess from the previous home owners. One is HUGE! All are different types, and all are still Loaded with tomatoes! I dont know how to save them, must be at least a 100, still green. I hate for them to go to waste, be ruined in our now cold weather. I dont can, but if they'd ripen, I'd give tons away. A neighbor told me to bring them in, put them on paper sacks & they ripen. Is that true? Good luck with those amazing peppers!
Hi breeinmo,

If they are green and you are getting frost, take them inside and they will ripen over time. Putting them in a paper bag will ripen them sooner because you trap the ethylene gas which is an enzymatic signal to ripen. Banana can even accelerate this process because they give off a lot of the gas. Any fruit known as climacteric will ripen as long as the fruit mature and do release ethylene. If you have a lot you should bag some and stagger out the ripening process.

1 bag with bananas
1 bag tomato only
the rest on the table

Tomatoes freeze well. Its another thing you can do with the surplus.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Thank you so much Gwynedd1! You say they freeze well...what prep. do I do first? I bought a salsa mix that says to boil for a few min., but I really dont want a ton of frozen salsa. lol And I'm new to having garden produce, so please talk down to me, and talk slow. tia

Old 11-08-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much Gwynedd1! You say they freeze well...what prep. do I do first? I bought a salsa mix that says to boil for a few min., but I really dont want a ton of frozen salsa. lol And I'm new to having garden produce, so please talk down to me, and talk slow. tia

You can do something as simple as putting them on a cookie sheet and freezing. Then just store them in a freezer bag. They will not be like fresh tomatoes, but will be good for stewed recipes. You can also skin and seed them if desired. In that case blanch them 30 seconds to slip the skin off, split and seed.

I think its easier to just freeze whole. The skin will slip of with a bit of water and you can seed it then. Most fruits are this simple. Freeze and bag or bag and freeze.

Though,...I prefer dried

Old 11-08-2011, 03:06 PM

Again, thank you! I never would have thought you could freeze maters, esp. whole. I thought they'd have to be cooked. After the rain stops, I'll be out picking them cause of you. I just hate waste, so this problem has been buggin me. I havent had fried green tomatoes since I was a kid, and thought that'd be my only solution. I'm also going to bag some up to leave at the post office for the comers & goers. I'm in a very small town without home delivery, so everybody has to go there. Wish you were nearby, I'd give you all you wanted.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Again, thank you! I never would have thought you could freeze maters, esp. whole. I thought they'd have to be cooked. After the rain stops, I'll be out picking them cause of you. I just hate waste, so this problem has been buggin me. I havent had fried green tomatoes since I was a kid, and thought that'd be my only solution. I'm also going to bag some up to leave at the post office for the comers & goers. I'm in a very small town without home delivery, so everybody has to go there. Wish you were nearby, I'd give you all you wanted.
If I were there, I'd take em and give some back to you with a crust under them.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:05 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
wow. those are more like pepper trees than pepper plants.

4 years old!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden