Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 07:47 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

Walmart has a bag of insect granuals that works well. It will hopefully stop more from going in but won't do anything to the ones already in. I'm usually able to find them and get them with the vac. Thankfully, I haven't had any in the house this year. They'll eventually die if there's nothing in the house for them to eat. I know the sound will drive you crazy, hopefully it won't last long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 01:28 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Crickets reproduce rapidly and if not under control can overtake their area of residence making it very dificult to control or eradicate. They leave millions of filthy droppings where they procreate.
Cricket elimination is best accomplished by combining a good residual spray with a professional bait. Spray is to be used indoors and outdoors, baits are placed in hiding places where sprays cannot be used but where crickets can be found. Baits can also be used outdoors.

Odorless insecticide spray products such as Permethrin Pro or Suspend SC are best for long term control. Suspend SC (a professional Deltamethrin product) is the most popular. Choose the size or formulation that best suits you.
Spray outdoors around windows, doors, vents, weep holes, plumbing lines or other possible entry points. You also need to spray a band around the structure, three feet high and to the ground (on your exterior walls) as well as a six foot swath on the ground. This will create a barrier that not only kills existing crickets and other insect pests but also prevents outdoor bugs from becoming indoor pests. To help eliminate crickets from attics, basements or cracks and crevices, Maxforce FG Granular Bait or Baygon Bait are recommended. Baygon Bait is best for large jobs, Maxforce FG is best suited for smaller jobs. Maxforce FG and Baygon Bait are best applied using the Crusader Duster. This handy duster allows you to effectively penetrate insect hiding places with baits or dusts.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:34 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,363 times
Are they mormon Crickets? You said black and if I remember correctly mormon crickets are dark brown and 2-3 inches long, yikes I hate them. They say if you kill one 5 will come to eat it so poison one and you get 6 dead. Yuk just the thought gets my skin crawling.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:34 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,292 times
Smile Bashing the crickets

So are you saying that bashing their little brains with with an empty diaper wipe box is NOT the answer????!!!!

ohhh the carnage....

On a serious note, I'll have to do some research on WHERE to purchase said cricket poison. Do they sell it at Walmart? Kmart of Home Depot?

Old 09-11-2007, 09:22 PM

I would go ahead and try Home Depot in the garden section.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:27 AM

430 posts, read 1,263,692 times
My grandma use to take an old aluminum pie pan and put beer in it....they were drawn to the beer, hopped in to get a drink and died in the pan...they were all over the root cellar and the basement....use to work for her!

O.Nana

Old 09-16-2007, 07:11 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I remember in our old house we had them too, when our son was a baby. It was horrible. My husband sprayed outside the house (would not let him spray inside due to the baby) and we sort of bashed the ones we could see. It was a hot, humid summer and those suckers hung around till frost. Ugh..to this day he hates the idea of crickets.

Yes, a cat or a lizard sounds nuts but it's an idea. Maybe a snake!

Old 09-16-2007, 09:07 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
I prefer a shotgun

Old 09-16-2007, 10:12 PM

Well good luck with the shotgun, not sure you will hit any of the crickets but you could put holes in the walls to allow more in,

Old 09-17-2007, 11:00 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,292 times
Default cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Nana View Post
My grandma use to take an old aluminum pie pan and put beer in it....they were drawn to the beer, hopped in to get a drink and died in the pan...they were all over the root cellar and the basement....use to work for her!

O.Nana
I'm trying this idea out right now !! One beer for me, one for the little critters..... thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden