Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 09:03 AM

845 posts, read 1,348,496 times

Advertisements

So, I moved. I lost my awesome outside garden, and most of my flowers that I planted. That won't stop me, though, from growing stuff inside. While I want to grow a lot of different plants inside, I know most of them won't take unless they're buried outside.

What I want to know is what I can grow inside. I know I want an herb-type garden such as; basil, oregano, thyme, and possibly lavender. I already have basil and oregano, which they're growing pretty well. Thyme is just a matter of whether I can find the plants now, sense it is winter. However, lavender or any seeds in general, are hard to come by.

Can I grow lavender indoors? Where would be a good place to get seeds, or plants, now in the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 10:09 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I would recommend growing plants suited for indoors...but if you are sure you have enough sunlight for herbs, then go for it. Since you're already a gardener, you probably know better about the conditions you need.

For lavender, I understand it needs a chilling period, so it may be difficult to maintain long-term indoors. But if you are planning to harvest it, then keeping it for years may be a non-issue.

Burpee has lavender seeds and plants, but you may need to call them if you want the plants shipped right away instead of in Spring. I would get a book, or look online to verify the conditions (temperature, humidity etc) needed for germination of the particular seeds you purchase. Best of luck.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:11 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,617 times
Hmm....the herbs listed would be difficult inside a home. They would need lots of sunlight. Do you want to grow them in a greenhouse? Maybe I misunderstand the question.

Why not try tropical herbs? Patchouli comes to mind. It needs more light than I could give it, but still managed to do well inside. I don't know if it is edible, I don't believe that it is. Please don't eat it. Nice fragrance to the dried leaves and flowers. Easier to grow than I thought, although it doesn't look like much.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:00 AM

Just remembered: I have grown rosemary and Bay leaf tree indoors in a place that only had sun until about noon or a bit later. They did very well, esp. the bay tree.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
My indoor garden is my collection of very small (2'' size) cacti and succulants.

I've never had much luck with herbs inside myself. And I don't have counter space in the kitchen for one of those lighted planters..

Old 12-14-2011, 06:00 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I have a very sunny room and moved my patio garden inside this fall. Right now I have cherry tomatoes, yellow plum tomatoes, radishes, zucchini, patty pan squash, yellow squash, dill, rosemary, mint, basil, oregano, lemon verbena and thyme. I'm amazed that it's doing well, but I get a handful of tomatoes every couple days, plenty of herbs to cook with, the squash is doing ok I get a few every couple weeks.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I have a very sunny room and moved my patio garden inside this fall. Right now I have cherry tomatoes, yellow plum tomatoes, radishes, zucchini, patty pan squash, yellow squash, dill, rosemary, mint, basil, oregano, lemon verbena and thyme. I'm amazed that it's doing well, but I get a handful of tomatoes every couple days, plenty of herbs to cook with, the squash is doing ok I get a few every couple weeks.
OOOhh....I so jealous!!! I have always wanted to hold over tomatoes, peppers and such inside under glass, but never had the space/sun. Pals in a new home have HUGE windows and sun all day, and all right off their deck. Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden