U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-02-2007, 01:38 PM

1,738 posts, read 5,407,965 times
Default african violet

ummmm, did I kill the violet?
I got a african violet at a house warming gift and didn't know that the leafs shouldn't touch water. I poured water into the soil, but a few leaves got wet. They are not all brown, but a few have brown spots. Should I remove those or should I wait for them to turn fully borwn? ....AND how do I remove them? ....at the stem?, were the leaf meets the stem?

I can grow orchids and my violet is mad
I have it under florescent light on our breakfast bar. It's blocked from as much air as possible, but still gets a little air conditioning air on it randomly ...will that damamge it?

I didn't know they couldn't be touched either. I haven't touched them(that I can remember), but I don't know if others have ...if so will it turn brown in those spots and should I groom them off?

Thanks!

sincerely

african violet NEwb Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 02:37 PM

5,982 posts, read 10,778,458 times
This is just from a country violet grower - maybe the real gardeners will weigh in - if they have a little brownspot and it bothers you, just pinch the leaf off down at the soil....it's not going to heal itself! I don't worry about touching the leaves on mine - I don't go feeling of them, but they don't die and the leaves don't wilt up if I touch them on occasion. I take a little paint brush and sweep the dust off them periodically.

I don't think a little cool air is going to bother it, as long as it is not in a direct draft. Mine sit in a blazing hot west window which I don't think you're supposed to do either and they grow like crazy. If the leaf stems start getting really long and out of proportion, it's not getting enough light...I know that much...!

Do you have it in one of those clay water-from-the-bottom pots? I love those, but I throw mine or the rootings from another one into most anything and they will happily grow - just don't keep the soil too wet.

That probably wasn't much help - now if you'll just come get my orchids to stay alive....

Old 09-02-2007, 04:27 PM

13,545 posts, read 22,431,371 times
True Sam.. don't over water or pour water in the middle of the plant.. Touching them won't hurt the leaves.
I had always heard they had to have African violet soil if you replant it. I have had a hard time finding the soil in my little town darn it.
You do have to feed them occasionally with african violet fertilizer.
My orchids haven't done as well since I moved, in fact I have killed all but one and it is holding on by a thread..

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 09-03-2007, 06:34 AM

thanks guys ....orchids ...this is all I know.
The humidity in Florida is on my side!!!!!!!
I keep them on our porch that is shaded ALL DAY, but they get light.

there are three main types I've come across in stores.
Dendrobium are the easiest to grow. They like LOTS of water and if you nail the pot to a tree, they will start growing into a tree.

Paphiopedilum and I fight a little...I underwater them as they seem to get mad about having wet feet.

and Phalaenopsis ....we kinda get along.

....I am not good on where to trim them so I ask my friend to when she's over and by watching ...it has something to do w/ the notches.

I water(mist) mine in the morning, some get more water then others and then I water them in the late afternoon if it's horribly hot that day. I let them dry out over night(they like that). The orchid food is mixed w/ water in a sprayer(let it sit so all chemicals in the water die down) and I mist them. This creates humidity around the plant.

That's all I know.
Thanks for the help on the violets. Mine are in pots in a glass container at the moment. They are my new toy!

Old 09-03-2007, 11:12 AM

3,681 posts, read 10,550,213 times
i have 2 african violets that sit in the kitchen window in florida when it issunny I move them away, the sun does burn the leaves. I also found a clay pot at home depot which they seem to like. You put the water in the bottom, and the plant in the top part. That way they donot get over watered. i killed my orchid in less than one week.

Last edited by maggiekate; 09-03-2007 at 11:23 AM..

Old 09-21-2007, 10:45 AM

8,122 posts, read 16,529,517 times
I have a few AV and want to make a terrarium with them any ideas? Would they live in that type of inviroment?

Old 09-21-2007, 10:21 PM

16,455 posts, read 11,423,720 times
Like mentioned before, do not overwater them. Feed them now and then with AV plant food in the H2O. They like being rootbound and bloom better that way. I used to have a plant light under my kitchen counter with AV plants under it and they loved it.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:35 AM

7,138 posts, read 9,239,565 times
My African violets always die sooner or later. I was told to do the "benign neglect" treatment, that doesn't work. I water only from the bottom, give plenty of light, special soil/fertilizer. Doesn't matter, they don't last unfortunately. But am still going to go and get another one soon! And don't even bother with orchids, I know what their fate will be!! So I have the hearty plants, succulents, geraniums, ivy, aloe, cactus. Have had one christmas cactus for years! Some of the herbs do well with me, rosemary and lavendar. But will keep trying....

Old 09-29-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
My African violets always die sooner or later. I was told to do the "benign neglect" treatment, that doesn't work. I water only from the bottom, give plenty of light, special soil/fertilizer. Doesn't matter, they don't last unfortunately. But am still going to go and get another one soon! And don't even bother with orchids, I know what their fate will be!! So I have the hearty plants, succulents, geraniums, ivy, aloe, cactus. Have had one christmas cactus for years! Some of the herbs do well with me, rosemary and lavendar. But will keep trying....
maybe their feet are to wet?
I let them dry out and then water the day after the soil is dry on top.
I've moved mine to a window that gets indirect light
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden