U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-13-2012, 02:04 PM

20 posts, read 49,280 times
Default Prep work before laying new sod

I have a front lawn that's in pretty bad shape with large dead or dying spots. There's probably 2 or 3 different kind of grass but I don't really know which type. I'm thinking of tearing out everything and laying new sod down. Is the prep work something I can tackle by myself or should I hire a professional for the entire job? Also both sides of my lawn borders with my neighbors without any separation. How do I do this without damaging their lawn? TIA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 02:26 PM

3,259 posts, read 4,241,679 times
Depends on how big of an area.
Smallish, you could rent a sod cutter, and do it yourself within a day.
Big, you will wear your self out and then have the problem of where to dump it ??

Since you say you have problem areas, maybe also a good time to figure out why ?
Sprinkler system bad ?

Maybe you should think about Xeriscaping, and forget about sod altogether ??
We only have *grass*, the soft kind, where our kids used to play and where our grandchildren play now. The rest is xeriscaped with above ground planters and veggie gardens.

Still want grass ? What does the grass look like next door to you? Any good or also lousy ?
A good sod cutter will do a pretty good straight line cut, but you better know where your boundary line is !!
If they have crappy grass, build a small separation *wall*, not higher than the grass it self to stop *their* lousy grass, from migrating to your *new* nice lawn ...

Old 01-13-2012, 02:45 PM

19,126 posts, read 11,157,692 times
1. Fix sprinkler system to ensure proper coverage.
2.Spray round up on anything green, wait seven days, water, repeat for 30 days until no new grass or weed sprout.
3.Dig out lawn with sod cutter or by hand. Having ground a tad moist helps.
4. Plan on replacing six inches to a foot of your neighbors lawn where you meet.
5. Rototill in new organic compost into grass area.
6. Check sprinklers again ensure proper coverage.
7. Install any new drains that might be needed for down spouts on house.
8. Grade so water falls away from house toward street.
9. Fine grade with grading rake removing all debris larger then 1 inch.
10. Mark all sprinklers with flags(should have done this before using sod cutter)
11. Measure yard in sqft. Add up sqft. order sod adding 2-3% for cuttings and waste.
12. Install sod in running bond pattern, slicing off edges for a clean back to back cut. Make sure all edges touch. Start laying sod I biggest area first to minimize cuttings.
13. Oh forgot apply slow release fertilizer to ground before laying sod and rake in.
14. Make sure you have lots of Advil
15. Roll sod with a water roller to ensure proper sod to ground contact.
16. Clean all areas.
17 Water new sod within 30 minutes of laying on hot days, within 1-3 hours on cool days.
18. Grab beer and drink
19. Still want to do this?

Old 01-15-2012, 06:48 AM

17,941 posts, read 13,031,104 times
If there is an irrigation system know where your heads are.

Remove the old sod. Rent a sod cutter. It will make the project a whole lot easier. Next remove the old sod and make sure the soil in in good condition. Remove rocks and clumps of soil. Be careful that you don't mess with the grade unless you want to have standing water or foundation problems.

make sure the irrigation system is working as it should and covering the area as it should.

Lay the sod. Offset the joints of the sod and make sure you water frequently until established. Making sure the water soaks in. If you have water running off it is being wasted. Most of the tips here are spot on.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 AM

7,182 posts, read 2,446,978 times
Could a person roto-till the old grass into the soil and just lay the new sod on top? Seems it would be good for the soil to me as an old farmer.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Could a person roto-till the old grass into the soil and just lay the new sod on top? Seems it would be good for the soil to me as an old farmer.
Only if you want lots of weeds popping through your new sod. If the old grass is not completely dry and dead the composting action that will occur under your new sod will not be beneficial and might kill or damage it.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM

4,995 posts, read 6,676,723 times
I still don't like the use of chemicals. OP if you are planning to do this, pls say you are not in Maryland. We have had rain almost every week for a lot of the months this year, and I think runoff from whatever you plan to spray on the lawn would be too risky. My two cents.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:38 PM

17,941 posts, read 13,031,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You could. But it would be better to cut the sod out. It is important to have a smooth base of black soil for the sod to be healthy.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,272 times
All, I received a half create of sod (300 sq ft) for free. I laid the sod over my grass that I had sprayed two weeks earlier for weeds. It was an extremely difficult job to lay sod! After two full weeks of watering, the grass is growing and is beautiful. Will it die? All I can say is the entire area needs to be mowed and the grass has rooted.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfields it View Post
All, I received a half create of sod (300 sq ft) for free. I laid the sod over my grass that I had sprayed two weeks earlier for weeds. It was an extremely difficult job to lay sod! After two full weeks of watering, the grass is growing and is beautiful. Will it die? All I can say is the entire area needs to be mowed and the grass has rooted.
Sounds like your good to go.

Not how I would have done i but hey if it works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden