Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 03:03 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times

Advertisements

I just found this site and it is very neat. Just put in your e-mail and your zip code. Then a chart pops up to tell you exactly when to plant each plant for your area.

Let's Grow Veggies! Vegetable Planting Guide & Frost Dates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 05:41 PM

253 posts, read 557,950 times
Great can you give me an example of a northern city in Washington State Zip code, I'm not to far from Blaine, but since they don't offer Canadian postal code inputs, I'm kind of stuck

Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
Great can you give me an example of a northern city in Washington State Zip code, I'm not to far from Blaine, but since they don't offer Canadian postal code inputs, I'm kind of stuck

Try 98844 for Oroville Washington. It looks like a mid state but far north city in Washington.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:57 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I just found this site and it is very neat. Just put in your e-mail and your zip code. Then a chart pops up to tell you exactly when to plant each plant for your area.

Let's Grow Veggies! Vegetable Planting Guide & Frost Dates
Cool. Especially so because I am right on the line between one zone and another so I'm never sure which one would be the most accurate to base my planting on.

I wonder when they will put up the spring 2012 chart? I'm assuming the charts are based on long range weather forecasts.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
Interesting site Lisa. It looks like they are taking the newest zonal maps and making a very date specific calender for each place. I'm a bit skeptical since last frost dates tend to be averages and we can get a last frost way after and way before those averages, but I do like a kind of map of what to accomplish when so that things are done on time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
Since this is zip code specific just picking any zip code in Washington state will not be a good idea, away from the coast can be several zones colder quite quickly. You can help yourself by looking up a few things for yourself. Here's what you need to do:

1) https://glfc.cfsnet.nfis.org/mapserv...2C1305%2C11705 Use this map to find the zone color in Canada for your exact location. This is centered over the general area but you can zoom in or out to help see your town.

2) on the same map head south of the boarder to any town listed close to the border and in the same zone (color) as your town.

3) use a search engine like Google and put in the full town name (as an example Blaine, WA would work if Blaine is a town with the same zone color). Usually within the first 3 choices will be a small map and a summary of information. Usually a zipcode will appear in that summary. If it does not click on the link to get more information. In this case the zipcode appears in the summary as
Quote:
Blaine, WA 98230
4) Plug the 98230 into the first site Lisa linked to.

This should get you a reference that is close to what yours would be if it included Canadian towns. You have the added benefit of knowing your own zone when you go seed and plant shopping.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:18 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
Pretty good chart, imo...and, good to see that for our zip 28786, they show the usual last hard freeze as Mid May, which is about right. Though our lucky friends, down our mountain at lower elevations, usually get away with no hard freeze by May 1st.

It is those hard to very hard freezes, from early April through mid May, that wreak havoc on our perennials and specimen acer palmatums...our 'local' oaks, hickory and pin cherry, some 200+ years old, know enough not to even consider leafing out until mid May, regardless of how mild a winter.
Thanks for that link...
GL, mD

Old 02-10-2012, 07:18 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Cool. Especially so because I am right on the line between one zone and another so I'm never sure which one would be the most accurate to base my planting on.

I wonder when they will put up the spring 2012 chart? I'm assuming the charts are based on long range weather forecasts.
CINEBAR: I just went to the site and the chart says spring 2012, so it looks like it's current...

thank you lisa for the link...looks like I still have a few weeks before I can
start putting anything out...the feed stores are already selling cool-weather plants,though...but I think I'll wait a little while longer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden