U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 AM

2,956 posts, read 11,040,330 times

Advertisements

Mr. azoria went to visit our property in Texas where we raised our children and a bunch of renegade sheep and chickens and geese and dogs and cats & whatnot. We have not seen it since we sold the place and moved away over 10 years ago. I/we put a lot of work into that place.

It was a crap house on a marginal property (black gumbo, limited water, nasty climate). We could afford it. We worked hard to make it nice.

I worked for a nearby plant nursery, the owner was an old rose afficionado. I made away with many of the roses. Planted them everywhere. My crappy homestead became an old rose emporium. Then we sold it and moved away. I left my decade+ of roses behind.

He says the roses are still there! They have survived the drought of the Texas century, they have thrived and spread, my roses says Mr. azoria, have survived and crept the beds and fences on which I planted them--they're all still there!

My heartthrob love, the Bourbon rose souverain de la malmaison, she is still there. The old climber I planted, an $8 ungrafted pink I forgot-what-it-was-called, has taken over more than 200 feet of ugly chain link fence. He says my roses are still all over the property. I suppose I planted most of them about 20 years ago now.

I.am.so.happy. My roses, I loved them so much. They survived me. They did what they were supposed to do, they carried on after I left.

This is just a happy dance on my part with no particular point. Except that maybe if you plant something sturdy and beautiful and take care of it nicely, it will reward you and go on to survive in all its beauty long after you're gone.

I really loved those roses.
I live in an apartment now.

Last edited by azoria; 01-19-2012 at 01:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 06:07 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,924,254 times
That is great to hear, I am rose fanatic too. Those old antique roses just go on and on don't they? Roses get a bad rap for being tempermental, but honestly, I like them so much because they are so tough. Even here in zone 5 I have many that get no winter protection. you just have to know what you are buying (no hybrid teas here!). And the once-bloomers are the toughest of them all. Glad to hear people did not chop them all down. For some reason because of the bad rap or the whole thorn thing, people cannot stand the roses. You do NOT have to prune the bejeesus out of the older roses. Just leave them be and give them lots of water.
The last place we lived had a rambler that had been planted in the 30s and utterly neglected. That thing was so beautiful once a year, I got into roses after that. That rose is also still there.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:27 AM

6,474 posts, read 13,403,963 times
Awww.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:05 PM

7,243 posts, read 9,588,980 times
I am far from a tree hugger but your story shows why it is good to invest in the soil. Not only were you happy once, you are happy now and another homeowner is also happy. Well done.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:17 AM

25,584 posts, read 30,493,706 times
I had roses at my old house that did well in zone 3. I moved and at this house I built a couple of rose beds last spring. So far so good. Any more roses are hardy, are beautiful and offer a wide season of flowers.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:32 AM

15,560 posts, read 9,584,514 times
hope hubby took photos. If ya can't have the roses, know ing they're still there is the next best thing followed by having photos.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:00 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,239,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Mr. azoria went to visit our property in Texas where we raised our children and a bunch of renegade sheep and chickens and geese and dogs and cats & whatnot. We have not seen it since we sold the place and moved away over 10 years ago. I/we put a lot of work into that place......

I left my decade+ of roses behind.

He says the roses are still there! ...........

I.am.so.happy. My roses, I loved them so much. They survived me. They did what they were supposed to do, they carried on after I left........

This is just a happy dance on my part with no particular point.
I really loved those roses.
I live in an apartment now.
Beautiful post Azoria. I snipped it down to not completely quote everything. All of us who have worked for years on our gardens always secretly hope the gardens will still exist long after we are gone. You have reason to do a happy dance. It's got to be hard to live in an apartment after all that gardening. I'd miss my plants!

Old 01-21-2012, 07:23 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,462,249 times
Your story warmed my heart.

Thank you so much for sharing it.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:16 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,583,921 times
What a great story. I would have loved a house with a yard full of old roses like that.

I've got a knockout rose bush sitting on my doorstep in a container just waiting to be put into the ground. I lost one last year due to the horrendous drought, but I've learned from my mistakes and I'm ready to try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden