Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:57 AM

310 posts, read 1,356,635 times

Advertisements

I think it's a beautiful state and we plan on moving there sometime in the near future. I love to garden and lilacs are one of my fave flowers and I was hoping I would still be able to enjoy them if I move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 08:50 PM

866 posts, read 1,136,802 times
I don't live in Tennessee but some of the seed catalogs I have
gotten in the mail of late show that TN is mostly in hardiness zone
6 with small sections in zone 7...
They also have reblooming lilac bushes that are zoned for zones 2 through 9.

Based on that info it seems to me lilacs just may do okay in most parts of TN...that's a good thing because I like you like lilacs and miss them
greatly...they don't do well here in TX where I am now.
The closest thing we have to lilacs here is Crape Myrtle, and that really doesn't come close anywhere close in frangrance, appearance is close,
but not exactly the same...

If I get to move to TN in the next couple of years, I'm looking forward to
growing them...

Hope someone who knows for sure can give you a better answer...

Old 01-23-2012, 10:05 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
I think it's a beautiful state and we plan on moving there sometime in the near future. I love to garden and lilacs are one of my fave flowers and I was hoping I would still be able to enjoy them if I move there.
It is a beautiful state and I love living in it. Lilacs are gorgeous to look at but there scent gives me headaches so I won't grow them.

Tennessee is considered to be middle south when speaking about gardening (not geography or politics!) or it is called a transition area (not north and not deep south but having aspects of both). It is mostly Zone 6b and 7a which falls within the outer range for lilacs of a 7b. Tennessee is a big state and there is a big difference between the Smoky Mountains, the Plateau and Memphis when it some to heat and humidity as well as winter cold. Lilacs run into difficulty with warm winters and very hot, humid summers.

For much of the state most varieties of lilac will survive any winters easily but can be damaged by the sudden late freezes. Most problems arise with the heat and humidity of summer here. Lilacs are prone to powdery mildew, scale, and a number of pests which are much more common in humid conditions. If you research the varieties that do better in the south you should find a few to your liking that will be more resistant.

Edit to add a zone map that is up to date to help you find what zone you will be moving to. Recently the zones have been shifted to reflect changes in growing seasons that have been measured and some catalogs and websites have not updated theirs to reflect it yet:

http://www.garden.org/zipzone/index.php?img=seusa

Old 01-24-2012, 01:05 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times
I don't know if you can grow lilacs in Tennessee, they grow like weeds in the UK.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:12 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I don't know if you can grow lilacs in Tennessee, they grow like weeds in the UK.
In far northeastern Europe, lilacs don't just grow like weeds, they grow in forests.

Lilacs can do cold, but they don't do warm winter climates. And they don't do drought either.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:21 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
The Persian lilac (syringa persica) grows in the warm winter desert of AZ. .

Read more: Which lilacs bloom best in the desert

There are many different varities of Lilacs and they can be grown in most zones. TN has a variety for that area, check with your local nursery or extension svc.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:59 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I could not get lilacs to grow to save my life in Memphis, not even the Persian lilac.
Up here in the northeast corner of the state I have seen them growing in peoples yards.
They don't seem to be as prolific as they were where I grew up in MI, but I am encouraged enough to try to give it a go this year and see if I have any luck with growing them.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:57 AM

469 posts, read 579,014 times
Default A little off topic

This is a little off topic, but just 2 days ago I was talking to a coworker about lilacs. He said he was told that lilacs only flower every other year. I grew up in Colorado with lilacs in the backyard. We must have had 10 of them. I don't remember a bush going without flowers. Anybody know anything about every other year flowering?

Old 01-26-2012, 04:25 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
They need quite a bit of sun, or they get leggy.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:00 PM

311 posts, read 466,986 times
kiwifruit2....I've lived in TN for 8 yrs..moved from NY and loved my lilacs. The house that we bought here already had 2 lilac bushes in the yard and they bloom every year.I trim the bloom off every year. I started a new one from a runner, so I'll see what happens this year. The only thing I find is they don't stay in bloom for long. BUT they are lilacs. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden