U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 PM

560 posts, read 1,067,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Sluggo
Bulldogdad is always right

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...err_gastro.pdf

Iron Phosphate

Iron phosphate is a relatively new active ingredient for slug and snail food baits. Iron phosphate baits are considered generally safe for the environment. Unlike metaldehyde and methiocarb products, baits containing iron phosphate are thought to be safe for pets and other non-target animals. After feeding on baits containing iron phosphate, slugs and snails will cease feeding but will not die until 3 to 6 days later. For some slug and snail species, there is evidence that iron phosphate baits are less effective than those containing metaldehyde or methiocarb. Indications are that iron phosphate, while not as effective as metaldehyde and methiocarb, has potential in chemically sensitive areas due to its low toxicity.

Iron phosphate pellet formulations can assist in filling a treatment void in cases in which a home or landowner’s may have reservations of chemical control options. Iron phosphate may be impractical on large scale eradication but allow for treatment in smaller or sensitive areas.

Sluggo® is granular bait containing 1 percent iron phosphate. This bait can be used in areas that have public access or other areas of concern in place of metaldehyde use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:53 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Would iron phosphate have any negative effect on vegetable plants? I use diatomaceous earth in the vegetable garden to deter slugs and cutworms on my baby tomatoes and peppers.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:39 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,725,881 times
Beer works good for me (both for personal consumption and in the garden). Most economical, go buy a 40 oz of something truly awful like Hurricane or Steel Reserve (heck I bet they don't even have that garbage in Canada, being as public health costs are actually a conern to people there), it will last you for quite a while.

I think my parents' homeowners' gestapo would execute them for ducks. The beer would probably be an issue too. In fact, I think if they even had a garden in the first place a meeting at Camp David would have to be scheduled to settle the war.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:07 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,372,463 times
There is nothing worse than walking outside at night, barefoot, and step on one of those nasty suckers! Feels like it takes a week to get that slime off the bottom of your feet! lol My dad always used, and I did too, slug pellets, probably the same thing as what Bulldogdad was talking about. We used to take a couple pellets and drop them right in front of a slug and watch it stop to eat some. They aint live long! What the kids used to do is take the salt shaker out and find one on the driveway or sidewalk. They would make a ring of salt around the slug with room for him to crawl before he hit it. Talk about messy when it did! lol

Old 02-24-2012, 08:26 AM

29,988 posts, read 35,842,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
I was digging in the garden today, getting ready the soil ready for planting (yea!) when I couldn't help but notice how many slugs there were. Is there anything that will get rid of the slugs that is as natural and organic as possible?
Ducks or chickens will eat them up in short order and give you organic fertilizer in the process.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 AM

10,953 posts, read 8,347,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post

I think my parents' homeowners' gestapo would execute them for ducks. The beer would probably be an issue too. In fact, I think if they even had a garden in the first place a meeting at Camp David would have to be scheduled to settle the war.
This is why I would never, ever, EVER live where I was under the dictatorship of an HOA - EVER. I wouldn't last ten minutes.

It's bad enough I have this jerk neighbor who lives down below me who tried to tell me what I could and couldn't do here - on my own place! - when I first moved in. Hah! That was six years ago and he figured out pretty quick that wasn't going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
There is nothing worse than walking outside at night, barefoot, and step on one of those nasty suckers! Feels like it takes a week to get that slime off the bottom of your feet! lol My dad always used, and I did too, slug pellets, probably the same thing as what Bulldogdad was talking about. We used to take a couple pellets and drop them right in front of a slug and watch it stop to eat some. They aint live long! What the kids used to do is take the salt shaker out and find one on the driveway or sidewalk. They would make a ring of salt around the slug with room for him to crawl before he hit it. Talk about messy when it did! lol
I've done the salt thing, too, when there's only been a few to deal with or when one or two were getting especially close to a plant and I didn't want to touch them. Gross.

Have you ever watched a duck with a slug? I can't remember if all breeds of ducks do this because it's been some time since I had anything but Muscovies, but they torture them. LOL They'll grab one and head to the closest puddle and beat the crap out of it in the water before eating it. Or sometimes two of them will fight over one. Reminds me a little of what cats like to do with their prey.

(Also, Muscovies - especially when they're young - love to chase the flying bugs, such as mosquitoes, too.)

Old 02-24-2012, 11:09 AM

4,114 posts, read 7,599,227 times
We had a very well done shade garden, with stream and a few dozen varietals of hostas, that was a slug magnet: woods setting, far from the 'burbs, lots of rocks, etc. The slugs were like locusts...
we tried all the usual, (most listed above), with so-so results.

We finally stooped, (pun intended), to early morning slug picking, before the gang slid back to hiding: my CEO and I would stalk into the garden after our early morning walk with tweezers and a large cup of salt water and pick off several dozen each day. The process took <10 mins each morning. After a week or so, the slug population was done ~90%.

An additional day or two per week of follow-up culling kept them to nearly no threat, during the 'season'. Sounds like a PIA, but good exercise bending over/squatting down, you can see the results floating in the cup, and it does put a severe crimp on the local/micro population. We did it for 15+ yrs and the few that got by us, or in next generations, were of little consequence or impact on our hosta/shade perennial species.
GL, mD

Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 AM

29,988 posts, read 35,842,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
We had a very well done shade garden, with stream and a few dozen varietals of hostas, that was a slug magnet: woods setting, far from the 'burbs, lots of rocks, etc. The slugs were like locusts...
we tried all the usual, (most listed above), with so-so results.

We finally stooped, (pun intended), to early morning slug picking, before the gang slid back to hiding: my CEO and I would stalk into the garden after our early morning walk with tweezers and a large cup of salt water and pick off several dozen each day. The process took <10 mins each morning. After a week or so, the slug population was done ~90%.

An additional day or two per week of follow-up culling kept them to nearly no threat, during the 'season'. Sounds like a PIA, but good exercise bending over/squatting down, you can see the results floating in the cup, and it does put a severe crimp on the local/micro population. We did it for 15+ yrs and the few that got by us, or in next generations, were of little consequence or impact on our hosta/shade perennial species.
GL, mD
I'm guessing one could offer those up like meal worms on a flat container next to a bird feeder and the song birds would eat them up as well.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:16 AM

10,953 posts, read 8,347,832 times
One year, I tried straw bale gardening. It might have worked except that I tried to utilize my space as well as I could by putting the bales end to end and two deep in each row.

Holy moly! Slug heaven!

If I were to do that again, I would make sure there was plenty of space between each bale so that it didn't create this cozy, warm, damp haven for slugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden