Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,232,042 times

Advertisements

I went looking for something about slugs and copper because I wanted to make sure I hadn't dreamed it and I came across this link:

Ugh...Slugs

Some interesting suggestions there, some that I wasn't aware of (like shingles and sandpaper), and they do mention the copper strips.

If you google "slugs copper," there is more stuff about using copper, including a video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 07:44 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,145,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
I was digging in the garden today, getting ready the soil ready for planting (yea!) when I couldn't help but notice how many slugs there were. Is there anything that will get rid of the slugs that is as natural and organic as possible?
put a saucer of beer. Also, I shake salt around my plants.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:45 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,145,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Diatomaceous Earth, it dehydrates them.
I did use that for my hostas. Only thing is it kills every bug, even good ones.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,600,807 times
Sluggo

Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Sluggo
I won't use a poison. I have too many animals - dogs, cats, chickens, and ducks.

And if I lived in a neighborhood, even if I didn't have my own animals, I would be concerned about poisoning a wandering cat or dog.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I won't use a poison. I have too many animals - dogs, cats, chickens, and ducks.

And if I lived in a neighborhood, even if I didn't have my own animals, I would be concerned about poisoning a wandering cat or dog.
It's non toxic to all animals except slugs and snails.

Like I tell my kids read a little before you spout off about a subject.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
It's non toxic to all animals except slugs and snails.

Like I tell my kids read a little before you spout off about a subject.
Well, aren't you nice?

I've never read up on it because I have always chosen other methods (ducks, beer, oyster shells) and never saw a reason to. I do know there are slug poisons on the market that can be hazardous to other animals and I assumed "Sluggo" fell in that category.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Well, aren't you nice?

I've never read up on it because I have always chosen other methods (ducks, beer, oyster shells) and never saw a reason to. I do know there are slug poisons on the market that can be hazardous to other animals and I assumed "Sluggo" fell in that category.
Well the truth hurts. You tried to discredit my suggestion, which fits into the OP's request, before even knowing what your talking about.

Had you looked it up and had questions after that, then I would have told you I have spread thousands of pounds of Sluggo over the last 11 years as a landscaper with absolutely no issues.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 PM

393 posts, read 1,112,221 times
Quote:
Ducks.

Ducks love slugs and there is the added bonus of eggs (duck eggs are great in baking).
That is interesting. I have been thinking of getting some hens for my back yard, but duck eggs sound interesting. I also have been doing a lot of cooking. I have about 3000 s.f., in which I am keeping a blueberry orchard, 1000 gallons of rainwater and a garden. Oh, and I run around naked back there.

How much room do ducks need? Are they messy? Do they mind tall grass, and would they bother my plants?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
That is interesting. I have been thinking of getting some hens for my back yard, but duck eggs sound interesting. I also have been doing a lot of cooking. I have about 3000 s.f., in which I am keeping a blueberry orchard, 1000 gallons of rainwater and a garden. Oh, and I run around naked back there.

How much room do ducks need? Are they messy? Do they mind tall grass, and would they bother my plants?
LOL

You've got plenty of room for some ducks. There are different breeds and sizes, so how much room they need/how many you should get would depend on the breed you chose.

Muscovy drakes get very large, although the hens stay fairly medium-sized. Khaki Campbells are kind of a smallish duck and they lay all year 'round, so a few of those should keep a person in eggs (Muscovies are seasonal layers and breeders). And if you just got hen ducks, you wouldn't have to worry about getting more ducks than you needed and you would still get the eggs.

They do make a mess. A few won't be a huge problem but I have a LOT of Muscovies (way, way too many) and they keep my driveway a muddy mess. In fact, breeding season started early this year because we had some really nice, unseasonal weather, and my drakes are fighting like crazy - and they like to fight right next to my vehicles in the driveway, splashing mud all over the place; occasionally, you can make out the muddy shape of a wing on the side of my car. They don't fight much during the winter, normally, but this year has been a little different because of the nicer weather. In fact, the hens have already started laying and I have some hens that have gone "broody" - in other words, they have nests hidden somewhere and will show up in a few more weeks with 10 - 20 babies in tow.

But if you keep things under control, including your duck population, there's no reason why you would necessarily have some of the problems I have. I have a problem with not wanting my birds to get eaten - especially my Muscovies, because they are the friendliest birds you'll ever meet - so my population has pretty much exploded. I've sucked it up a bit, however, and there is a guy who will be coming out in a few days to pick up some drakes.

But, a small pen with a kiddy pool and a rough shelter (even a large dog crate) where the ducks can be confined most of the time, maybe let out in the evenings or early mornings when the slugs are the most active, would be ideal and beneficial.

I do have some problems with my birds and my plants but I'm not sure who the biggest culprits are - the chickens or the ducks. Again, though, there are ways to keep things under control and still get the benefits.

I just tend to go overboard - just a little.

One advantage of keeping ducks over chickens is that ducks don't "dust" themselves like chickens do. A couple of chickens "dusting" themselves in your garden can do quite a bit of damage.

Last edited by Cinebar; 02-22-2012 at 10:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden