Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 PM

70 posts, read 277,342 times

Advertisements

Can I get some advice from those who live in tick-infested areas? I am in NJ. I am looking at buying a house and my wife is very concerned about the kids picking up Lyme disease while playing outside. The property is about 2 acres backing to a large stream. There is about 100 feet of property next to the stream that's heavily wooded with a walking path down to the stream. It is designated wetland and cannot be altered because it's next to the stream. There's a deer fence with a gate just before the stream to keep deer out/children in. There is another 100 feet or so of lawn with a few trees that has been terraced with stone retaining walls to create level areas. It is a sloped lot with the water running off into the stream - does this mean we will not be allowed to do any sort of spraying on the lawn for tick control because we will contaminate the water? We've also read that stone walls can be a problem with ticks. What do you think? Would you let your kids run around back there, and what would you do to keep them safe? Or would you not buy this property at all with 2 young boys? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 07:40 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,517,728 times
Anytime you get out into nature ticks can be a problem. I think you should contact the local county's extension and vector control offices for their perspective on the tick issue for that area. Plus they would be able to give a much clearer picture on approved pesticides and application techniques allowed.

I wouldn't allow the fear of ticks to stop me from buying what sounds like a boys dream property. Just make sure the kids know how to swim and understand the dangers of the area. If these are city boys they might not have a healthy regard for the dangers that lurk. Plus they are boys and bound to get into some kind of trouble.

Sounds like a beautiful property. Pics would be nice.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:04 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,027,692 times
Sevin dust helps,20 mule team borax helps,guinea chickens help...Lyme disease is awful,but I would not worry about it so much as to let it rule where I lived....there are several ways to keep yourself safe...I wish I had paid attention to them.

CDC Features - It's Spring ? Time to Prevent Lyme Disease

Old 02-25-2012, 08:28 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,982,974 times
We live on five acres in the Pocono’s - also in the red zone for deer ticks. We used to have many ticks on our property. That was before we were overrun by wild turkeys. We have an next door neighbor that consistently feeds the turkeys - we also feed them in the cold snowy winter months. We also have ducks - on top of the fifty to one hundred wild turkeys.

My feeling is that the birds help. If you watch wild turkeys they are looking and pecking at everything. I would also think that Guinea hens would work - if zoning and your neighbors would allow them?

It is a very fine line feeding the turkeys. Spraying a scoop of corn in your back yard could also encourage deer. It is very hard to landscape with deer hanging around - plus they have deer ticks. Spraying cracked corn in the morning does not usually attract deer as much as spraying whole corn in the evening. Never make a pile of corn because you will encourage the deer.

Keep your lawn short around the house. Also make sure you protect your pets - so they will not bring the ticks inside.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:38 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,027,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
We live on five acres in the Pocono’s - also in the red zone for deer ticks. We used to have many ticks on our property. That was before we were overrun by wild turkeys. We have an next door neighbor that consistently feeds the turkeys - we also feed them in the cold snowy winter months. We also have ducks - on top of the fifty to one hundred wild turkeys.

My feeling is that the birds help. If you watch wild turkeys they are looking and pecking at everything. I would also think that Guinea hens would work - if zoning and your neighbors would allow them?

It is a very fine line feeding the turkeys. Spraying a scoop of corn in your back yard could also encourage deer. It is very hard to landscape with deer hanging around - plus they have deer ticks. Spraying cracked corn in the morning does not usually attract deer as much as spraying whole corn in the evening. Never make a pile of corn because you will encourage the deer.

Keep your lawn short around the house. Also make sure you protect your pets - so they will not bring the ticks inside.
Yes,birds REALLY do help...my F-I-L proved it to me...he bought an old farm several years back and you couldn't walk acrossed the yard without getting a dozen ticks on you...he said he would fix that and he went and bought a dozen Guineas....you have to keep them penned for a few weeks and as soon as he let them out it was a feeding frenzy in his yard..he now has dozens of them and although the are aggravating as hell,he hasn't had a tick on him in many years now.

I'm getting ready to do the same thing at our new place..we bought a 28 acre farm a few years ago and have been remodeling it as we could afford it..it's just a few weeks away from us moving in and I'll have Guineas running on it by spring for sure.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:33 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,124,713 times
Keep the lawn mowed they don't like short grass.

Then we got some chickens, we let them free roam around the yard. The tick problem has just about disappeared.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:36 AM

Ha, no way my wife is letting me get a flock of guinea fowl! I can't imagine the noise and the droppings... it's not that big a yard. That's a funny idea though.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizza View Post
Ha, no way my wife is letting me get a flock of guinea fowl! I can't imagine the noise and the droppings... it's not that big a yard. That's a funny idea though.
Oh man city folks movin to the country.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:52 AM

Yeah, that's pretty much us. We spent 10 years as apartment dwellers in Manhattan...

Old 02-25-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizza View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much us. We spent 10 years as apartment dwellers in Manhattan...
Don't forget to get ur selves a pig named Wilber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden