U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2012, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,953 posts, read 3,624,836 times
Reputation: 23039

Advertisements

Spring is almost here!

This year I'm going to strictly patio gardening due to a move/downsizing.

First up will be lettuce and cool season veggies of course and hardy herbs... Using vertical planters?

Anyone else a patio/balcony/deck gardener?? Special containers or raised boxes you like... Anxious to try vertical for lettuce, strawberries...any ideas on planters?

I would rather have quirky planters than buy expensive wood etc. Saw a vertical shoe holder (with pockets) being used for lettuce!

Last edited by greatblueheron; 02-26-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2012, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Went around the corner & now I'm lost!!!!
1,550 posts, read 2,964,679 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Spring is almost here!

This year I'm going to strictly patio gardening due to a move/downsizing.

First up will be lettuce and cool season veggies of course and hardy herbs... Using vertical planters?

Anyone else a patio/balcony/deck gardener?? Special containers or raised boxes you like... Anxious to try vertical for lettuce, strawberries...any ideas on planters?

I would rather have quirky planters than buy expensive wood etc. Saw a vertical shoe holder (with pockets) being used for lettuce!
I seen online somewhere a lady took a wood pallet ( you can get FREE), stapled a double thickness of clothe landscape weed blocker on the back and sides of it and filled it with soil. Then she planted all types of flowers and herbs in it and sat it on it narrow side so it could be vertical. I thought it was a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,953 posts, read 3,624,836 times
Reputation: 23039
Very good idea! I will begin to think of using items "on end"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 11:12 AM
 
29,988 posts, read 35,910,536 times
Reputation: 12724
How to Turn a Pallet into a Garden

Urban Greenery, Vertical vegetable garden planted on the side of...

3 Gorgeous Vertical Gardens | greenUPGRADER

http://tipnut.com/grow-potatoes/

You could also use trellis netting or lattice to turn a regular large pot or planter into a vertical growing surface.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 02-27-2012 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 11:49 AM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 19,827,425 times
Reputation: 9532
some great ideas...
im planning on using the shoe organizers for strawberry plants and a herb garden this year (and the nice thing wiht the herb garden is it can be brought inside for the winter and hung on a door as long as you harvest and feed to keep the plants growing small but strong it should last years

and i LOVE that pallet garden!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
 
2,401 posts, read 3,814,130 times
Reputation: 2169
Awesome!!! I think I will be trying my hands on them ideas too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Went around the corner & now I'm lost!!!!
1,550 posts, read 2,964,679 times
Reputation: 1217
Great idea for the potatoes. Mine are growing like crazy in a small area of my yard. I will use that potatoe tower as an idea to contain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 12:47 PM
 
10,139 posts, read 22,456,274 times
Reputation: 8244
I think you can grow lettuce, chives and other herbs in just about anything. But, my efforts at vertical tomatoes were not as spectacular as those in the books. Our cousin has a greenhouse nad grew hot house tomatoes on vertical and they were magnificent, but she is a farmer and they were in a greenhouse. The ones on my driveway did not do so well. there was fruit of course, but not like the raised bed gardening I was used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 09:10 AM
 
Location: VA
6 posts, read 9,861 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I seen online somewhere a lady took a wood pallet ( you can get FREE), stapled a double thickness of clothe landscape weed blocker on the back and sides of it and filled it with soil. Then she planted all types of flowers and herbs in it and sat it on it narrow side so it could be vertical. I thought it was a great idea.
It's been all over Pinterest. But you can't go into it blindly, you have to be super careful with pallets because not all of them are safe for growing plants for human consumption.

Straight from Wikipedia: "Discarded wooden pallets should not be used for fire wood or crafts unless it has been determined that the wood in these pallets has not been treated with wood preservatives, fungicides and/or pesticides. Various pyrethrins and propiconazole are common treatments for wooden pallets. In addition, imported palletized goods are routinely fumigated with highly toxic pesticides. During use, harmful materials or chemicals also may spill on the pallet wood and be absorbed."

Also: "Wood pallets used to transport food can possibly harbor pathogens such as E. coli and Listeria."

I think it's a cute idea and all, but I think it's important to remind ourselves of the risk to our health and safety hazards non-heat-treated pallets create.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,953 posts, read 3,624,836 times
Reputation: 23039
Good post! I was not planning on using them...not that handy...but thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieDanie630 View Post
It's been all over Pinterest. But you can't go into it blindly, you have to be super careful with pallets because not all of them are safe for growing plants for human consumption.

Straight from Wikipedia: "Discarded wooden pallets should not be used for fire wood or crafts unless it has been determined that the wood in these pallets has not been treated with wood preservatives, fungicides and/or pesticides. Various pyrethrins and propiconazole are common treatments for wooden pallets. In addition, imported palletized goods are routinely fumigated with highly toxic pesticides. During use, harmful materials or chemicals also may spill on the pallet wood and be absorbed."

Also: "Wood pallets used to transport food can possibly harbor pathogens such as E. coli and Listeria."

I think it's a cute idea and all, but I think it's important to remind ourselves of the risk to our health and safety hazards non-heat-treated pallets create.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top