U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 07:18 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,389,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
...I have one dog that eats things that come out of the cat - both the front and back end of the cat...
The dogs I've had have always loved feline butt nuggets. They're considered a delicacy, the canine equivalent of beluga caviar.

Dogs are disgusting(ly wonderful) and one cannot rule out the possibility that a young dog with a fanaticism for chewing EVERYTHING might chew on something bitter, but I'd guess that's quite rare.

The most disgusting thing of all is a dog that eats its own... you-know-what...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 06:51 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,564,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
The most disgusting thing of all is a dog that eats its own... you-know-what...
She's ventured there as well !

She knows not to eat the caterpillars/butterflies/butterfly weed - and she ventures through the butterfly patch a few times a day - so I have hope that she knows not to eat the Datura and others.

This is the first dog I've ever had who puts things in her mouth first and asks questions later.......glad I'm not alone in having one of these silly dogs ! Thanks Harvester .

Old 09-15-2007, 06:56 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,564,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Any kind of vine or ivy can get completely out of control in my opinion if it is allowed to climb something such as a tree or a house. Once this occurs then the ivy is very hard to manage and is a BIG PAIN. The worst example is when English Ivy takes over a tree. Sometimes it weakens the tree and kills it or escapes into the wild. English Ivy is not recommended for landscaping at all for the most part. Kudzu is the other vine that is completely taking over areas of the southeast. This has also posed some big problems all over the place.
So true. English Ivy can get all into the Live Oaks here in Florida and develop enormous thick vines that climb to the top of the trees.......it's pretty-looking, but not good for the tree .

Cil: I just looked online and yes, English Ivy IS poisonous to dogs/pets! I had no idea! Here's a link with a list of poisonous plants:

http://www.uexplore.com/health/poisonplants.htm

Old 10-05-2008, 11:03 AM

186 posts, read 714,246 times
I started with one Angel Trumpet next to my deck, but got carried away once I realised I only had to shove a piece of branch into the ground and a new tree would spring up overnight. Now I have about 8 of them, and wish I hadn't planted any! They're terribly messy, dropping flowers & leaves all over the deck which turn instantly to sticky mush, and create a lot of work in having to constantly clean up in the mulch border. My oleanders are lovely but a bit overgrown and a couple of times a year are plagued with stinging orange caterpillars with black bristles. If I don't keep a close eye on them and kill every one, they'll decimate a 10' oleander in a matter of days. I don't know the caterpillar type, but the eggs are laid by a brilliant blue flying insect with bright orange wings.....pretty but a pest.

This winter the Angel Trumpets are all going in the debris heap and will be replaced with something tidier.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:54 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,417,138 times
..probabally my absolute favorite..plumerias,..which are mildly toxic...

another favorite,..any species of coral tree (erythrina sp.)..in several
countries,like africa,..the seeds of those species occuring there are
used as rat poision..

..as for the angle's trumpet...they're great plants also...and though they
are toxic..most people know to keep kids away from them..and know to
wash their hands after handling them...

as for ivy...absolutely evil...never plant the stuff...

Old 10-10-2008, 12:40 AM

8,161 posts, read 9,365,591 times
I've been told all too often that my plants are creepy - so I guess I like creepy plants! I have a big collection of carnivorous plants. I have tropical varieties inside in a big terrarium, and outside I have several 'mini-bogs' of temperate carnivorous plants. I find them absolutely fascinating - and beautiful! Many of them get quite colorful. And yes, they really do catch and digest little creepy crawlers.

I cannot resist posting a few pics, just a small glimpse of what I grow:

Venus Fly Trap (temperate):

Sarracenia (Temperate Pitcher Plant):

A look down it's throat:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Interloper/cps/IMG_5984.jpg (broken link)

A few of my tropical carnivorous:
A Sundew
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Interloper/cps/IMG_6029.jpg (broken link)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Interloper/IMG_5214.jpg (broken link)

Now, my favorites, Nepenthes (Tropical Pitcher plants). There are literally hundreds of different varieties, in every pattern and color imaginable, often changing color as they age.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:49 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,417,138 times
Default 11th hour

....absolutely awsome plants!!!...these are the creepiest of the creepy...
anyone out there ever try any of the corpse or carrion flowers?..

Old 10-12-2008, 08:41 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,538,365 times
I used to have all this weird stuff growing in my house that I had to get rid of because we have two little girls running around now who like to eat the weird stuff!

Old 10-12-2008, 01:49 PM

58 posts, read 169,820 times
I thought my Venus Fly Trap was cool, but 11th hour has me beat by a mile.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:56 PM

91 posts, read 262,494 times
Oh, that Boston Ivy.........I hate it. It is beautiful, and makes the older 3 story brick home to the south of us look warm and charming . I suffer with the roots it sends out. The vine has been on the house over 80 years. The house is about 75 feet from the start of our land. We moved in here over 40yrs ago and I have been fighting the roots from that vine as long. The roots increase in size every year if left unchecked. Some have gotten as large as my wrist. Our lot sits down about 24" for the others so I created a rock wall only to see the roots push them aside and come through. They intwine themselves around any root of any thing I plant and eventually chock it out. I have lost a lot of trees, bushes, and plants of all sorts. It took a lot of investigation and asking a lot of question from people in the know before I discovered the cause of my delima. I need to dig up every plant I have and clear the roots out every couple of years in order to save them. My gardens are so big it takes me all day every day all summer to accomplish this task.By the time I am done its time to start over again. The few things that do live, are spindly,and barely hanging in there. Hosta have lasted the longest. But if it stops growing and looking weak I find that the roots of the vine are all twisted around the roots and even around the top of the crown of the Hosta. BAD, BAD,vine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or