U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM

4,203 posts, read 7,859,645 times

Advertisements

Sorry - but a lot of the other pictures just don't seem to match what I'm seeing....

Henbit? Bittercress?

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 03:14 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,250,624 times
Looks like shotweed?

I've seen the stuff go to seed at an inch tall and a foot tall. When you touch it the seeds launch from their pods by the gazillion.

This stuff needs to be weeded at it's very early stage when it's just a wee round little cloverish looking thing.

If you pull it out now, try to keep the tops covered with a plastic trash bag and then yank it up. With luck 50% of the seeds will launch into the bag. The rest will go everywhere.....

You have a real infestation.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:59 AM

6,193 posts, read 4,513,831 times
That is NOT henbit.

I'm fighting henbit and it's not fun.

There are many weed identification sites on the net. Some are general, some regional.

Google (yuk) or Bing can help you find them.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:09 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,404,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Looks like shotweed?

I've seen the stuff go to seed at an inch tall and a foot tall. When you touch it the seeds launch from their pods by the gazillion.

This stuff needs to be weeded at it's very early stage when it's just a wee round little cloverish looking thing.

If you pull it out now, try to keep the tops covered with a plastic trash bag and then yank it up. With luck 50% of the seeds will launch into the bag. The rest will go everywhere.....

You have a real infestation.
Have to agree with Azoria, you don't need to look for a weed ID site. I recognize that little monster from my own garden. This winter seemed to be prime weather for it and it has multiplied horrible. On this side of the USA it often called Hairy Bittercress. Virginia Tech has a great guide for weeds and has a good picture and description here: Hairy Bittercress Pull any and all weeds you see and keep on the look out for new plants as they pop up. A single plant going to seed will create hundreds more!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:06 PM

4,203 posts, read 7,859,645 times
Thanks folks. And yea, I did do the research ahead of time... but some of these look so similar.

And ugh - after reading about these suckers.... looks like I've got my work cut out.

Old Today, 03:19 PM

25,442 posts, read 18,560,432 times
the picture is gone from the OP but i'm pretty sure this is what i have in my yard. damn seeds exploding all over the place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAuUJrzaJJY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden