U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:47 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,875,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Maybe a sauce with a dab of honey would catch them? Just a guess based on that old saying "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar." You figure it must have become a saying for a reason.
LOL yea - but these flies LIKE vinagar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 AM

3,569 posts, read 3,226,760 times
It's weird as there are not many of them. On that long table running along the window I have one peace lily, two begonias and two violets.

I am not sure how the flies got there in the first place - but there are very few of them. I only see one or two flying around here and there.

I suspect they may have started because of some stupid thing I did soon after I bought the flowers, which I saw on the net. This guy recommended to drop a banana peel into the pot of the peace lily because supposedly these plants like potassium and they will bloom like crazy.
What an idiot I was.

I only left it there for 2-3 days when it dawned on me that ripe fruit will attract flies. I took the banana peel out of the pot right away but the flies were already there.

Now I am not sure whether they appeared because of the banana peel or simply they were attracted to the slightly damp soil (I did water all of them from the top at first).

Old 03-19-2012, 11:07 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,875,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
It's weird as there are not many of them. On that long table running along the window I have one peace lily, two begonias and two violets.

I am not sure how the flies got there in the first place - but there are very few of them. I only see one or two flying around here and there.

I suspect they may have started because of some stupid thing I did soon after I bought the flowers, which I saw on the net. This guy recommended to drop a banana peel into the pot of the peace lily because supposedly these plants like potassium and they will bloom like crazy.
What an idiot I was.

I only left it there for 2-3 days when it dawned on me that ripe fruit will attract flies. I took the banana peel out of the pot right away but the flies were already there.

Now I am not sure whether they appeared because of the banana peel or simply they were attracted to the slightly damp soil (I did water all of them from the top at first).
LOL yup - that did it. Put the vinagar next to the peace lily first!

Old 02-26-2014, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 334 times
Question Curious

I am curious about one thing. I have several African Violets that have small white bugs on top of the leaves. In this thread and other places, usually the bugs are described as being on the underside of the leaves. Would this change the diagnosis of which sort of bug I have? There do not seem to be any on the underside. I also have seen a few tiny flies in the area of my plants but am not sure they are related. Only one plant has any disfiguration and that is on the top, around the point where the stems meet the soil. I own around 10 African Violet plants and I would hate to lose them to this bug, whatever it is.

Thank you for your help!
sunadcor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden