U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:33 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,895,615 times

Advertisements

Reset the settings on the mower wheels to max high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 06:50 AM

2,152 posts, read 9,719,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Reset the settings on the mower wheels to max high.
Roger on that. Wheels set to max. height. If they were any higher I could shove my feet underneath the mower's deck.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:49 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,920,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
It has been raining here in Indiana and the sensor alarm on our new Rain Bird lawn irrigation system works. The system will not run when there is rain.

One problem I have encountered with our new lawn sod and that is trying to mow it no less than 3 inches. The sod is so soft and spongy that the mower tends to sink down into it and cut the grass too short. It wants to even scalp the sod. :>( I wonder how many other people have this problem when they put new sod in.

You can come to our house and fall down on the grass to see how soft and spongy it is. The weight of a heavy 22 inch self-propelled lawn mower sinks in like a submarine going down under water.

The man who installed the lawn irrigation system said I should just shut off the irrigation system for a period of time to let the lawn dry out before cutting it. I have my doubts about that because the sod has always been soft and spongy since last fall even before the irrigation system was put in this week.

Any ideas on how to go about cutting a new 'soft and spongy' sod lawn not less than 3 inches short? Is a certain kind of lawn mower necessary to stay up higher in the grassy sod and prevent it from cutting the grass too short?
There's not much you can do about soggy, and there's not much you can do (now) about sod.

Having mowed hundreds of lawns & acreages for years, I'm convinced that I will NEVER lay sod. This is one of the reasons. Until it thoroughly attaches itself to the soil underneath (sometimes sod never does), it'll be squishy, will move, and will turn brown at the first sign of hot weather.

If this were my lawn, I'd roll the sod once, then use the lightest mower I could - making sure that the mower blade is NOT a "high lift" mulch-style blade.

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
There's not much you can do about soggy, and there's not much you can do (now) about sod.

Having mowed hundreds of lawns & acreages for years, I'm convinced that I will NEVER lay sod. This is one of the reasons. Until it thoroughly attaches itself to the soil underneath (sometimes sod never does), it'll be squishy, will move, and will turn brown at the first sign of hot weather.

If this were my lawn, I'd roll the sod once, then use the lightest mower I could - making sure that the mower blade is NOT a "high lift" mulch-style blade.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. What I discovered here in Indy is that places no longer sell conventional style straight blades. They sell 3 in 1 mulching blades and that's about all a person can buy around these parts. Even at places like Lowes, they sell mulching lawn mowers and blades.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM

25,631 posts, read 28,394,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Thanks for the advice. What I discovered here in Indy is that places no longer sell conventional style straight blades. They sell 3 in 1 mulching blades and that's about all a person can buy around these parts. Even at places like Lowes, they sell mulching lawn mowers and blades.
Have you tried the commercial small equipment dealers that sell to Landscapers.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Have you tried the commercial small equipment dealers that sell to Landscapers.
No I haven't tried a small commercial equipment dealer. There is a Reynolds a few miles north of me where I can go to check out their blades. I'll let you know what I find out.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 686 times
Can you still roll a lawn after a month. OR is it to late.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:12 AM

11,734 posts, read 9,886,009 times
People with this soggy turf might want to look at the high wheel mowers such as: High Wheel Lawn Mowers @ Mowers Direct. The larger the wheel, the more contact surface and the less it should sink into the lawn. But that is theory and might not work in practice. You could check with your local dealers. You should, at least, have a greater range of wheel height adjustment.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:39 AM

67,580 posts, read 77,332,722 times
our ground is so water logged that, in one area where there is more of trench, our lawn guy, yesterday had to use the weed eater/trimmer instead of the lawn mower. We are expecting several more inches of rain starting tonight and into Sunday. Hopefully, by the time he comes back (2 weeks) it will be dried up enough for him to work a little faster. I felt sorry for him yesterday. What usually takes him 15 mintues took him about an hour.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:46 AM

32,579 posts, read 37,816,590 times
Husqvarna and Flymo make lawn mowers that hover on a cushion of air,no wheels at all,sounds like the perfect application for a soggy lawn.
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...aft+lawn+mower
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden