U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:43 AM

11,494 posts, read 9,556,213 times

Advertisements

Itís that time of the year again. We currently have a Robin that thinks it has to fight off our picture window. I know, that from his prospective, it is only another male Robin. From our prospective; it is one pile of bird crap! We donít like our deck handrails painted white bird poop.

Scaring him away only works until we leave. My wife put up wooden chickens on our window - they are not scary enough. I sat up and old plastic owl on our deck railing - but I still think that he will be back. They seem to be oblivious during the mating and nesting season.

I was just curios if anybody else has a good cure for macho male Robins? I also know that it is only a matter of time until the Cardinals join in.

A few years ago we had an attack Blue Jay - that physically attacked us as we went to our garden. He/she had a nest in our apple tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 AM

10,139 posts, read 21,660,055 times
Haha! That's great.

I took a cat to the vet once because of sores on his head only to find out that a blue jay was pecking his head outdoors.

Robins usually are not the offenders in regards to copious white poop because thy mostly eat live things (bugs worms, etc.) which are well digested as opposed to pigeons, doves, etc. who will eat anything and pass it through usually in the same color as it went in.

As for scaring the robins, there is not much that you can do. they are very bold. I put up a bunch of those spinners on the end of a wand that children play with, but of course they are only good in a wind.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Haha! That's great.

I took a cat to the vet once because of sores on his head only to find out that a blue jay was pecking his head outdoors.

Robins usually are not the offenders in regards to copious white poop because thy mostly eat live things (bugs worms, etc.) which are well digested as opposed to pigeons, doves, etc. who will eat anything and pass it through usually in the same color as it went in.

As for scaring the robins, there is not much that you can do. they are very bold. I put up a bunch of those spinners on the end of a wand that children play with, but of course they are only good in a wind.
This robins very good at copious white poop! Maybe he has been hanging around with some doves and pigeons? There is a chance that doves are working a very early shift and I am blaming this on the robin?

I hope that your cat successfully recovered from his bird brained experience!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:36 AM

10,139 posts, read 21,660,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
This robins very good at copious white poop! Maybe he has been hanging around with some doves and pigeons? There is a chance that doves are working a very early shift and I am blaming this on the robin?

I hope that your cat successfully recovered from his bird brained experience!
Of course, it is early in the season and so the robin may be stuck with a fast food menu along with the pigeons and doves.

I have not had an outdoor cat for a long time. Really since one of my cats went missing after a hawk was hanging around the yard. Fortunately, the cat returned after probably being trapped in someone's garage of the like. still, birds are serious predators.

I know how bold robins are because I used to feed the birds and squirrels by hand and the robins would walk right up and take a nut dropped inches away from the hand. Blue jays not so much.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 AM

5,064 posts, read 12,845,735 times
Wow, I've never had our birds attack before! We always have nests around the house, too. The cats sit under the trees watching them, our birds must be very wimpy.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:41 PM

66,759 posts, read 76,048,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Itís that time of the year again. We currently have a Robin that thinks it has to fight off our picture window. I know, that from his prospective, it is only another male Robin. From our prospective; it is one pile of bird crap! We donít like our deck handrails painted white bird poop.

Scaring him away only works until we leave. My wife put up wooden chickens on our window - they are not scary enough. I sat up and old plastic owl on our deck railing - but I still think that he will be back. They seem to be oblivious during the mating and nesting season.

I was just curios if anybody else has a good cure for macho male Robins? I also know that it is only a matter of time until the Cardinals join in.

A few years ago we had an attack Blue Jay - that physically attacked us as we went to our garden. He/she had a nest in our apple tree.
Can't say we have attack birds, but they do fight a llittle. Our problem are the woodpeckers that attack our house and drill holes...Darn birds.!!!!

Old 04-01-2012, 12:49 PM

5,605 posts, read 12,389,137 times
Silver streamers and/or tin foil pie plates. Works for me.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:25 PM

2,152 posts, read 9,652,220 times
I almost was hit in the face the other day by a Cardinal that was flying at full speed and being chased by another bird.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Can't say we have attack birds, but they do fight a llittle. Our problem are the woodpeckers that attack our house and drill holes...Darn birds.!!!!
Actually; I did have that problem on my older siding. However; when I re-stained the siding I used stain + mildew peventive + insecticide and it stopped the problem. No bugs and no woodpeckers.

There was one other unique problem I had with flickers one spring. Apparently one got the idea of using my aluminum rain gutter for itís mating call. He liked to do that just as the sun came up in the morning. It sounded as if we had a crew of jackhammers on our roof. It went on for a few weeks and then I think he wore out his beak or his urge subsided. I donít think it is legal to shoot these birds - but he was really pushing his luck! He did not do any damage - but it did not sound that way.

Fortunately; I have not had that problem for many years - maybe aluminum mating drums didnít catch on?

Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Silver streamers and/or tin foil pie plates. Works for me.
Apparently; plastic owls do not work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or