U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:09 PM

316 posts, read 680,561 times

Advertisements

I tried placing beer near afflicted cannas but it didn't trap anything. I also don't see any slime trails. I called the local extension agency which recommended Spinosad. BTW, when I called a local organic nursery, I learned that it's pronounced "spin-OH-sed" - not "SPIN-oh-sad". :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 12:42 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,998,644 times
I haven't put the beer out yet. I'm hoping it will trap the snails, which I have alot of them. I actually put some Sevin dust on some of the plants and I can't tell yet if it is working. I know there are pros and cons about using Sevin but I had to see if it would work, my plants are being literally stripped of their leaves. I've never heard of spinosad. I'll have to look it up.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:32 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,188,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusParent View Post
I tried placing beer near afflicted cannas but it didn't trap anything. I also don't see any slime trails. I called the local extension agency which recommended Spinosad. BTW, when I called a local organic nursery, I learned that it's pronounced "spin-OH-sed" - not "SPIN-oh-sad". :-)
LOL I've heard every variation on it but the two compounds in it are spinosyns and that is pronounced with an "in" at the end and I've been hearing it as "Spin-o-sid" with the same "i" sound. It probably doesn't make too much difference and may sound different regionally anyway. One of my latest acquisitions is Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew which contains spinosad and might be easier to remember. This particular brand ( it comes from Bonide) came highly recommended in a class I took on organic plant and veggie care. I haven't needed to use it yet so I can't report back on it personally.

Spinosad is the latest darling in the organic pesticide products but it is not perfect. It will kill honey bees which already are having enough problems lately. If you use any do so very early in the morning or just before dusk when the bees are not active and you should cause less harm. It also does not break down in water (good for staying on the plant leaf) so try not to use it near streams and ponds as a precaution for now.

Just remember it does not handle slugs!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:17 PM

12,983 posts, read 12,504,718 times
Beer works, and the containers don't even have to be level with the ground. But--they don't always drown, so you might have to take care of it yourself--salt pretty much disintegrates them. If you try the beer and you don't find slugs, you don't have slugs!

Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 PM

835 posts, read 2,506,317 times
I put the beer out early last evening and only found some dead ants this morning. Should I leave it another night or two or does this mean I don't have slugs? Could the ants be eating the leaves? I am also noticing now the leaves are turning dark brown...fungus? Getting pretty discouraged.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 AM

I have yet to put the beer out but regarding the Sevin dust....it helped tremendously with caterpillers. It took about 3 or 4 days but I started to notice the dead caterpillers on the ground below the plants.

Friday I pulled off about 20 big fat spiny caterpillers just chomping away on my mesa yellow blanket flowers. They completely ate my passion vine and dragons blood stonecrop down to the ground. So frustrating.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:11 PM

835 posts, read 2,506,317 times
I found a slug in the beer today! Yay! Now to kill em!!

Old 04-16-2012, 04:34 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,188,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
I have yet to put the beer out but regarding the Sevin dust....it helped tremendously with caterpillers. It took about 3 or 4 days but I started to notice the dead caterpillers on the ground below the plants.

Friday I pulled off about 20 big fat spiny caterpillers just chomping away on my mesa yellow blanket flowers. They completely ate my passion vine and dragons blood stonecrop down to the ground. So frustrating.
I have quite a few blanket flowers varieties and so far they have not been in need of special care. Could you get a picture of these caterpillars, just so I can keep an eye out for possible marauders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongasabear View Post
I found a slug in the beer today! Yay! Now to kill em!!
Thanks for posting your results. So often you try to give a helpful reply and never find out if the problem was resolved or if something else happened. Good luck in catching the rest!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 AM

J&Em, I sure will. I am in TX so not sure if they will be the same kind. I haven't seen anymore on my blanket flowers. The sevin dust looks like it is working. I will however take pics of others I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or