U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2012, 03:30 PM

509 posts, read 855,828 times

Advertisements

I bought a daffodil plant at my local supermarket last month to give my kitchen table some color when I had a friend over for St. Pat's dinner. It looked nice for a couple of weeks, but now the flowers have all turned brown and the leaves are wilted. Can I transplant the bulbs into my yard so that they will bloom again next year, or should I just throw the plant out? If I can plant them, how far back should I cut the plant above the bulb before I plant? I don't know much about gardening, so any info would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 03:45 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,724,738 times
Suggest the OP transplant as is and allow the leaves to gather plenty of sunlight prior to trimming/cutting back. If you don't like the unsightliness just gather the leaves, take one and use it to wrap/tie the others neatly into place. The bulb will need to gather nutrients and energy if it is to rebloom next Spring.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:21 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,777,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Suggest the OP transplant as is and allow the leaves to gather plenty of sunlight prior to trimming/cutting back. If you don't like the unsightliness just gather the leaves, take one and use it to wrap/tie the others neatly into place. The bulb will need to gather nutrients and energy if it is to rebloom next Spring.
^^^ This

Old 04-12-2012, 04:25 PM

6,128 posts, read 9,159,139 times
snip the dead flower stalks off but even if you want to plant it now theres no reason to cut the leaves off.
dafodil leaves should be left alone untill they die off on their own so as not to deprive the bulb of food.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the info, everyone! That's just what I was looking for.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:52 AM

25,450 posts, read 31,957,858 times
Plant it?

Cut off the seed pods, leave the leaves alone, and stick it in the ground.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 AM

26,178 posts, read 17,435,558 times
years ago we used to braid foliage or bundle it up in rubber bands. now prevailing theory is not to even bend the foliage as it breaks passage of nutrients back to bulb.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:21 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,291,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
years ago we used to braid foliage or bundle it up in rubber bands. now prevailing theory is not to even bend the foliage as it breaks passage of nutrients back to bulb.
It is what I used to do, too. When the leaves got a bit long and limp I'd twist one around the others bent in half and then wait for it to all go brown and pull the whole thing up during cleanup. It kept the whole thing contained and low enough not to be too visible. It does make a slight difference to leave the leaves alone, as it seems the plants do seem to be stronger the next year and begin setting out "babies" a little faster. If you have a need to keep it neat versus seeing big flowers the next year go ahead and tie up the leaves. I just plant my daffodils among other plants that grow up around them, like Day lilies, and leave the leaves alone.

To the OP- as you've seen in many of the same repeat answer, just plant the daffodils. Make sure you plant them about 6-8 inches down (bottom of plant bulb sits at that depth). This may put some of the "green" part that is visible now in the ground. Once the plant has died down remove the brown leaves. Sometimes the forced daffodils will not have the ability to stay green long enough to put enough energy in the bulb for next year's growth and next spring you may get only leaves again. The year after that it should be back on its correct cycle and be blooming. My forced Paperwhites were like that this last winter sending out lots of leaves all winter long. Other forced bulbs will be the same way (for example Amaryllis or hyacinths), sometimes coming back right away and other times taking a year to get back into shape.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Thanks J&Em for the additional info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden