U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 01:09 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,824,459 times

Advertisements

I just bought a house in south Florida and the previous owner left a spreader full of pink colored granular fertilizer? want to know what it is before I use it. The lawn is Bahia grass and lots of palm trees.
Sid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 06:57 PM

12,971 posts, read 28,565,345 times
I believe Scotts Bonus S is pink.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 PM

36,361 posts, read 40,407,871 times
I wouldn't risk putting anything down I could not definitely identify. How would you know what rate? if anything else had been added? when the last time it was spread? you could do a lot of damage.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 AM

Default Pink Fertilizer/ Bahia Grass

Yes, I will not use it. I took it out of the spreader and put it in a garbage bag awaiting the next garbage day, then I washed out the walk behind Scott spreader because it was caked around the spreader spinner. Looks like new.

I have a question on correct fertilizer. I live in the Port St. Lucie Florida area and have a lawn of Bahia grass and also have may exotic palms and tropical plants that the previous owner took time to care for. Now it is up to me.
What fertilizer to use on the lawn and what to use on the palms. Aside from those mentioned there are tree ferns and many tropical plants many I do not know. What fertilizer should be used here. The soil is very sandy and I assume alkaline. Thankfully I have a well fed sprinkler system. Maybe a hose end dose of miracle grow for the tropicals?

Old 12-27-2012, 08:52 AM

2,091 posts, read 5,784,531 times
Wander into home depot and ask. :-) Take some photos of the plants with you, they will be happy to sell you everything you need.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:56 AM

They make special palm fertilizer with added magnesium and manganese. Many palms get deficient in these minerals, but I suggest Googling the symptoms so you'll know what to look for.

I wish you luck with the Bahia grass, that stuff is a major weed in my area and I spend a fortune trying to kill it without killing my Centipede. I cant imagine fertilizing it.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 AM

Default Bahia Grass

I don't really know for sure about the grass, it looks like St. Augustine and the lawn is lush and thick, I think it beautiful, can't be talking about the same thing. The blades are slightly narrower than St Augustine. Seems to love well water, smells like rotten eggs.
Sid

Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 AM

Default Fertilizer Color in Port St Lucie Florida

Well, I went to Home Depot and got advice in the garden area from a guy that sounded like he knew, he confirmed that the fertilizer I had was Scotts Bonus S and he cautioned me not to use it as long as the lawn was nice. ESPECIALLY ON BAHIA GRASS- IT WILL KILL IT. However he thinks my grass St Augustine but I disagree because it does not have the characteristic blue green color I am familiar with in New Orleans. I am not taking any chances and got rid of the Pink fertilizer. I did buy some palm fertilizer for my trees. I have a variety of them, still learning their names.
New to Florida
Sid

Old 12-28-2012, 09:50 AM

Bonus S contains atrazine, which supposedly harms Bahia. I used it hoping that would be the case, but it didn't affect my Bahia at all. I ended up using Sethoxydim to get rid of it (more like control it, you can never eradicate it). You'll know if you have Bahia come next summer, because it'll have those tall Y-shaped seed heads that require constant mowing.

Does your grass have runners? Both St Augustine and Centipede have runners, but Centipede has more narrow leaf blades. Zoysia also has runners, and looks even finer than Centipede.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 AM

Default Bahia Grass or St Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Bonus S contains atrazine, which supposedly harms Bahia. I used it hoping that would be the case, but it didn't affect my Bahia at all. I ended up using Sethoxydim to get rid of it (more like control it, you can never eradicate it). You'll know if you have Bahia come next summer, because it'll have those tall Y-shaped seed heads that require constant mowing.

Does your grass have runners? Both St Augustine and Centipede have runners, but Centipede has more narrow leaf blades. Zoysia also has runners, and looks even finer than Centipede.
It has runners and looks like St. Augustine, it is about 4 inches thick, hard to walk thru. Someone in Ft. Lauderdale told me you need to always add fill other wise the grass will just keep growing on itself and is at risk since there is no soil directly on the top layers. Maybe true or maybe an urban myth. Trying to get my used Snapper mower going now, too much for a walk behind even with front wheel drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden