U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 PM

2,710 posts, read 2,987,428 times

Advertisements

I realise this is a really strange post, but it is probably something you guys can help me with.

I live in a 12th floor apartment with an enclosed balcony and I want to grow marrow or squash. I realise they are large plants, but it is the pollination which I may have a problem with. I keep the windows covered to keep out the flies and stuff but I probably also need the insects to pollinate the plants I want to grow in the enclosed balcony.

I need to find out whether these marrow/squash/whatever are self-pollinating or if I can go round with a paintbrush and be a 'bee' and pollinate them myself with the paintbrush?

I also realise from basic biology, that the male bits and female reproductive bits may not be "ripe" at the same time, but at least I know which bits are which - and this may go some way towards a successful pollination !

As you can see I am not terribly good or experienced at growing stuff indoors but this is the only facility I have available to me at the moment, and I cannot really hang the trailers out of the window in case they fall on people's heads.

Thanks for any advice on this. :-)
Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 11:13 PM

49 posts, read 62,220 times
I don't know about marrow, but squash for the most part needs 'help' to be pollinated if it's not accessible to bees. A soft paintbrush will work (make sure you know the difference between male/female, varieties will have specifically sexed flowers), and you need to work the pollination several times a week, if not every day.

I've been looking into greenhouse/aquaponics, which has similar limitations, so...yeah, you do want to help your plants along to ensure good production. As long as you don't overwhelm yourself with plants, though, you shouldn't have a problem with it, and it can be quite soothing/therapeutic

There are some varieties that apparently don't require pollination, if you'd rather not deal with it, but most of what you'll find in the stores will.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:08 AM

16,317 posts, read 12,593,316 times
Don't you have problems caused by lack of air circulation? Are you using a fan?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,987,428 times
Ok, thanks for the feedback. The ones I have at the moment are experimental ones from squash/pumpkin I have bought on the street. I have no idea whether they are GM's either but I assume that if they were GM'd then there would be no seeds or the seeds would be infertile and these have definitely grown!

The large grapefruit I have bought on the street have small seeds about the size of a match head so are probably GM'd but I dont think Monsanto has got as far as these pumkin things yet.

Do squash/pumpkin have male/female plants? If not then I definitely know which bits are which, so hopefully I will be dabbing my pollen in the right places!

I dont mind at all if I have to go around with a small paintbrush, thats fine and as you say, probably quite relaxing. I can give the extra plants to friends as they probably have gardens. :-)

Fans? well I have the window open most of the day due to the heat but there is the fly netting wich stops the insects. So probably dont need a fan. To be honest, the balcony is not that large 10 feet x 4 feet probably and so I dont think air circulation will be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or