U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 04:12 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,465,817 times

Advertisements

I was an organic gardener, and hope to pick it up now that I have a large space to garden. I, too, did not use pesticides, but keeping some of the crawlers away is harder than others. I have spiders in many in-door places, and with the change in the weather, flies and ladybugs trying and often successfully coming indoors.

I have resisted spraying, but if you know of a non-poisonous way to get them back outdoors, I'd love to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I have been an organic gardener since 1992. Any poison that can kill a bug is a poison to birds, lizards, frogs and fish. All poisons travel through the food chain and eventually back to us. I put out bird seed all during the dry season and find that the wild birds do a darn good job of eating up all the aphids, beetles, spiders and other nasties. I collect the snails and feed them to my chickens. I spray my roses with garlic and dish soap if aphids should become a problem and it works on mildew and caterpillars too. Spiders in moderation are actually good for the garden in that they are a predatory creature that eliminates many of the bad ones.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 04:49 PM

38,679 posts, read 45,045,110 times
You may want to get professional help by contacting a local licensed pest control service.
You can also contact at your local Agriculture Dept, entomologists at the Universities or the government. These are free services.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:38 PM

12,620 posts, read 17,690,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Ok, I screen in my back porch, spray bug spray all over the perimeter and even used one of those ultrasonic insect repellents in an effort to rid my house of spiders.

Losing battle? Any recommendations?

I live in Florida.
Ortho Home defense Max with BUG BARRIER. Make sure it says Bug Barrier this is important because when the spiders cross over where you spray it kills them. Works great even on hobo spiders. I spray around all windows, doors, the base of the house. Bye Bye bugs!

Old 10-10-2007, 05:40 PM

12,620 posts, read 17,690,078 times
I even spray around the bottom of the walls inside the house too. Around inside of the cabinets where the pipes come into the house.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:45 PM

7,303 posts, read 22,741,659 times
If you live in warm climates and near woods, it seems impossible.... this was found in one of our bedrooms today....

Old 06-09-2009, 02:39 PM

5,293 posts, read 20,705,220 times
I have reduced the spider population at my property by using vacuum (or shop vac) indoors and a powerwasher a couple times a year outdoors. It takes a year or two to see a dramatic difference, but it can be done without poisons.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:42 AM

48 posts, read 161,025 times
black widows and poisonous ones of all stripes, plus if your house is overrun with them, why bother? They eat all kinds of flies, mosquitoes, etc. OK, cobwebs are a bother, but just get rid of them.
Rather a few of those critters than alll those poisons.
Arachnophobia is silly 99% of the time.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:29 AM

24,671 posts, read 55,573,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I have been an organic gardener since 1992. Any poison that can kill a bug is a poison to birds, lizards, frogs and fish. All poisons travel through the food chain and eventually back to us. I put out bird seed all during the dry season and find that the wild birds do a darn good job of eating up all the aphids, beetles, spiders and other nasties. I collect the snails and feed them to my chickens. I spray my roses with garlic and dish soap if aphids should become a problem and it works on mildew and caterpillars too. Spiders in moderation are actually good for the garden in that they are a predatory creature that eliminates many of the bad ones.
For true! I live in the tropics and it's a never-ending bug saga. As much as I hate to use Malathion it's sometimes a necessity when the whiteflies are over everything, my "native" plantings are being decimated and no amount of "organic" remedies work - and, trust me, I've run the whole gamut.

I don't worry about spiders at all and I certainly don't worry about lizards. They're both good bug-eaters and I protect them as much as possible, don't understand newbies who would crush them with an "UCK" and yet who complain about the prevalence of mosquitoes after rainfall. DUH? If spiders are in my way either inside or outside, I simply wisp away their web threads and they find a safer spot.

I don't have to worry too much about birds. The t'iefing trashy birds keep their distance because I have the cat patrol in situ, the bananaquits likewise but the 'quits are incredibly smart and can make a mockery of a cat in a heartbeat ...

Wasps sometimes can get a bit nasty and I admit that there have been just a very few times when I've gone on a spray rampage when they've stupidly started to attack me and the cats but, for the most part, they do a great job of pollination - as do the bees.

I decimate the roach population every three or four months; put out rat poison and decimate them every six months or so when they get WAY too comfortable and start knocking on the screens and shutters (!)

The bombs work well and I've used them too in the past but only because of a flea infestation. Since "Revolution" (as opposed to Frontline or Advantage) came into my life I've had no problems at all where the inside is concerned.

The majority of critters have their place on earth and I think it's best to live with those who are part of the whole balanced routine, of course within reason.

I suggest to those who think otherwise, and if all critters upset you, that you move into a hermetically sealed and totally air-conditioned environment in order that you won't be bothered. The roaches might still get to you, though!!! Cheers!

Old 06-12-2009, 06:59 PM

11,352 posts, read 11,088,066 times
Interesting reading, gang! Since buying my house in 2007, I've had spider issues in one bedroom upstairs, naturally the one I sleep in! Nothing bothers me, but I don't like to be surprised. I lived in mobile homes for 30 yrs. crawled under to deal with heat tapes, water issues, etc., and trust me lots of bugs and creepy crawlies!

I don't like using alot of sprays, etc. and don't want to bug bomb so I just deal with it. I can't figure where they are coming in from. In my basement I have an occasional daddy long legs but not like the ugly ones I see upstairs.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:21 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,116,890 times
I had an infestation of black widows in my garage. Then a non-aggressive blue wasp moved in. Turned out they decimate the black widows, they are their favorite food! So the blue wasps used to buzz around me while i worked in the garage, with never a sting or problem. And the black widows disappeared!

I used to live in the south and yes the spiders are really terrible; an infestation that is difficult to control once they get started - and soooo many kinds, black widows, brown recluses, banana spiders (that get as big as your spread-open hand!) - all types. My attitude is - they do a good job of eating other bugs, so unless they get big, obnoxious, or webby, they are left alone. Some of them - like the jumping spiders - are fun to tease with a blade of grass; get right up on their hind legs and fight! If you are looking for an organic way to control them, have you thought about diatomaceous earth? It is very light and powdery to humans - but is like shards of glass to bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or