U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:54 AM

230 posts, read 1,000,295 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever used Borax outside the perimeter of your home to deter spiders/ants/insects? I've heard this is a safe alternative to dangerous chemicals/pesticides that can harm pets and small children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 10:21 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,098,313 times
Take a 16 oz spray bottle and fill it with water. Add one tblsp of peppermint oil (not peppermint extract) and shake the bottle. Spray regularly in all the corners of your house,

Old 07-13-2009, 10:25 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,098,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakAttack View Post
Anyone ever used Borax outside the perimeter of your home to deter spiders/ants/insects? I've heard this is a safe alternative to dangerous chemicals/pesticides that can harm pets and small children.
Borax is effective, but can be harmful if ingested. You have to be sure that you sprinkle it into rocks or gravel so it cannot be eaten by pets. I have 3 inch river rock (smooth stones) about 18 inches around the base of my whole house. I sprinkle and then use a broom to brush it off the surface of the stones.
I also use it in my home to get rid of fleas. I put it in a plastic bottle with a pointed spout like a hair dye container and squirt it between the carpet and the wall, wiping off the excess that gets on the wall. I also have containers of it under some furniture pieces. I use potpourri containers with lids that I buy in thrift stores to hold it. The pets cannot get their tongues through the lids, but there is plenty of room to let the borax do it's work.

Last edited by yukiko11; 07-13-2009 at 10:39 AM..

Old 07-13-2009, 11:05 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,898,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
Mud Daubers are solitary wasps. They build mud "tubes" on walls, etc., but never in the ground. Yellow jackets are social insects more closely related to hornets. They build paper nests, usually, but not always, in the ground. Mud daubers sting and paralyze spiders and carry them back into their "tubes" for their larva to feed on as they mature.
Yes, your right. We don't have Mud Daubers here, but they have them where me Sainted Gramma lives down by Sac. We do have wasps that prey on spiders here, the most interesting being the Tarantula Hawk (Pepsis Wasp) They are BIG, black and orange, quite intimidating to be in proximity to, and as harmless to humans as the day is long. It takes an extreme amount of provocation for a Tarantula Hawk to sting a human and anyone who goes that far with one will only do so once.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:11 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,898,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
Hey, I went to google images and looked up "alligator lizards". They really do look like little alligators. Neat.
Lol, they get BIG. We also call them 'Scaleys'. Our buddy that lives in our wellhouse is about 8 inches long now. I've seen them over a foot long and close to 2 inches in girth. They also bite. No kid who grew up out here has ever learned the easy way about alligator lizards.. I love our lizards. Horned Toads are also way cool. Talk about a harmless critter. They are pure benefit to have around.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:55 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,464,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I love spiders and have even welcomed a few of them into my home. I find them much more companionable than flies, gnats, aphids, and mosquitoes. As long as she is not a Black Widow or Brown Recluse, I pretty much leave her kind alone.

When a large garden spider strays inside, I scoop her onto a newspaper and carry her gently out to the garden so she can feed and do her job.

We humans need to remember that most spiders (and lizards) are our friends and allies.

I agree.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:41 AM

596 posts, read 2,494,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I have been an organic gardener since 1992. Any poison that can kill a bug is a poison to birds, lizards, frogs and fish. All poisons travel through the food chain and eventually back to us. I put out bird seed all during the dry season and find that the wild birds do a darn good job of eating up all the aphids, beetles, spiders and other nasties. I collect the snails and feed them to my chickens. I spray my roses with garlic and dish soap if aphids should become a problem and it works on mildew and caterpillars too. Spiders in moderation are actually good for the garden in that they are a predatory creature that eliminates many of the bad ones.
The way I see it, the spiders are more stationary whereas the flying insects are very annoying. I've decided I'm thankful to have the spiders munching on things like mosquitos that really get to me!

What about calling up an exterminator company to see what they do for spider infestations around the home?

Old 07-15-2009, 02:34 PM

873 posts, read 1,486,838 times
I AM an "exterminator" (sic) company! For spiders, I usually spray although there are some areas where a pesticide dust will do better than a liquid. There! Saved you a call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
What about calling up an exterminator company to see what they do for spider infestations around the home?

Old 08-23-2011, 05:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,370 times
Hi im from Buffalo NY western NY really but like 20 min frm buffalo. Anyway we are now in Bradenton on Morgan johnson and we rented two mths ago but just got dwn here like a week ago and we got so many wolf spiders im freaking out please help me? My husband has killed so many like 30. The first day there where like 8 running around so he got them and removed all the dead ones then the next day we bombed the house. We watched them come out frm everywhere when the bombs where going off crazy! There was like maybe 12 more so he got them out. Well i plugged all the holes in the house sprayed that indoor outdoor spray we mowed the yard. I still see one everyday. WTH? Is there like nests? Can i get anything like chickens that will kill them? We keep all doors n windows closed! I have four dogs and a cat so i cant get harsh cemicals. Please any help? I cant afford a exterminator until mid sept. I am having nightmeres and cant sleep at night. I have never seen spiders like small rodents in my life!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,370 times
I swear wolf spiders are like small mice! That's what they remind me of! In NY there's daddy long legs but they never come in and def nothing that could bit or hurt you. Ive seen bannana spiders and black widows and wolf spiders cocroaches. Ive never seen any of these bug before in my life im not scared im petrafied! I run screaming like a two year old when i see them. Spray dont work they just keep running then u loose them. I dnt knw what to do? I live in bradenton any good cheap exterminators? Any suggestions what dont they like? DO they nest where? I have dogs and cats so i gotta be carful what i put in my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or