U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:11 PM

2,621 posts, read 7,533,971 times

Advertisements

Ok, I screen in my back porch, spray bug spray all over the perimeter and even used one of those ultrasonic insect repellents in an effort to rid my house of spiders.

Losing battle? Any recommendations?

I live in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 11:09 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,795,864 times
Go to a hardware store and get a bug bomb, you place in your crawl space and open it and it will spew bug poison. You need to plan to stay away from your home for a minimum of 8 hours, we did it to our home and we were free of spiders for roughly 3 years afterwards. It worked great, and I would do it again in a heart beat

Old 09-16-2007, 11:11 PM

50,007 posts, read 47,101,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Ok, I screen in my back porch, spray bug spray all over the perimeter and even used one of those ultrasonic insect repellents in an effort to rid my house of spiders.

Losing battle? Any recommendations?

I live in Florida.
i am in san diego we had a rash of black widows. i sprayed and stompted to no avail. then lots of lizards showed up esp in the garage where the black widows were. by by black widows.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-17-2007, 08:03 PM

302 posts, read 784,605 times
I just moved back to NY from Fl. There are spiders all over my house. Especially outside. I went out and bought a web remover (like a dust broom ) but they return. I left my windows open the other night and had webs inside the Jeep. Any ideas as to how to get rid of them. A bug-bomb won't work obviously outside.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:06 PM

2,621 posts, read 7,533,971 times
I actually sprayed the entire perimeter of the Lanai (Back porch) and I still saw a spider. Maybe I should just put up with them but I had just pressure washed the area just to get rid of a bunch of webs and dead bugs attached to them.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:13 PM

218 posts, read 407,130 times
I'm on a slab so can't bomb a crawl space. Any suggestions for my screened porch? Also, I've got these little squiggly things crawling around in my guest room -- near the window. They look like really thin worms. They're getting rampant. Any suggestions for those little nuisances?

Old 09-19-2007, 10:05 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,862,033 times
I've never tried this myself, and it obviously would not work for screened areas, it's intended for windows:

Wipe down your windows, especially the corners with gasoline (use crumpled newspaper)........supposedly it keeps the spiders away .

Old 09-19-2007, 10:23 PM

592 posts, read 1,968,353 times
Guinea hens. Anything on six or more legs, they'll eat it. Wings? If they can catch it, they'll eat them too. Noisy little birds but extremely efficient at what they do, best part is when their job is done, they can go in the freezer.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:46 PM

617 posts, read 488,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
Guinea hens. Anything on six or more legs, they'll eat it. Wings? If they can catch it, they'll eat them too. Noisy little birds but extremely efficient at what they do, best part is when their job is done, they can go in the freezer.
Ever so kind....

Old 10-07-2007, 04:50 PM

5,276 posts, read 5,451,681 times
I have been an organic gardener since 1992. Any poison that can kill a bug is a poison to birds, lizards, frogs and fish. All poisons travel through the food chain and eventually back to us. I put out bird seed all during the dry season and find that the wild birds do a darn good job of eating up all the aphids, beetles, spiders and other nasties. I collect the snails and feed them to my chickens. I spray my roses with garlic and dish soap if aphids should become a problem and it works on mildew and caterpillars too. Spiders in moderation are actually good for the garden in that they are a predatory creature that eliminates many of the bad ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden