U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:12 AM

5,291 posts, read 7,574,616 times

Advertisements

I just had a new wood privacy fence installed, replacing the old one. My old fence had quite a bit of damage from using a weed eater.

The installer recommended not using a weed eater, to avoid damaging the new fence. He said there was a product that would kill weeds for the entire season that could be sprayed.

I have always avoided weed killer because of my dogs and the wildlife. But I don't want to tear up my new fence either, which I just invested $5000 in.

My yard is nearly half an acre, too big to pull weeds.

A few years ago I tried laying asphalt shingles undetermined the fence but the neighbors complained.

Does anyone with pets use weed killer? Is there such a thing as a safe weed killer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 AM

19,561 posts, read 52,960,347 times
I use Roundup and keep the dogs inside for a few hours until it dries. I assume you mean spraying along the fence line? I also use my weedeater in the edging-around-the-sidewalk position, not the flat position. You get better control over where it is cutting that way. Mine has an adjustment so the head faces flat or verticaly. Actually, it isn't a brand name Weedeater, I forget what it si but I got it at Home Depot.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 AM

31,040 posts, read 56,773,401 times
If you don't want to use a weed whacker -- and the above suggestion to turn the thing upside down (if it doesn't have a head that rotates) and edge instead of cutting in a flat circle -- try one of those long-handled grass clippers.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:22 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,045,998 times
Spraying herbicide around the entire perimeter of a yard is a lot of work and will look terrible to have those uneven dead spots (read: mud).
If you want to know just how terrible, go to any dog park and look at the trails along the fence.

I have had a wood fence for years and use a trimmer. Never had a problem. If you're worried about it, you can put some metal edging along the bottom of the fence.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:05 PM

4,919 posts, read 18,971,542 times
Look for a product called Avenger weed herbicide.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,502,578 times
You want pet safe and environmentally friendly?

Two words: BOILING WATER

Put a pot on and let it get a good heavy rolling boil, then pour in a stream where you don't want weeds. They will be killed by the boiling water.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 7,326 times
i am looking for something to kill bamboo

Old 07-02-2014, 08:22 AM

5,550 posts, read 6,408,290 times
You could plant along the fence line and weed whack the edges of those beds, instead or right against the fence.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:07 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,867,745 times
It's a fair amount of work, but a nice, fairly permanent solution would be to lay a strip of weed blocker or 4 mil plastic along the perimeter of the fence, secure it and rock it or put down gravel. You could also install retainer edging so that the guy running the weed whacker has something other than your nice, new fence to cut against.

In any event, I think it's generally advisable to avoid applying herbicides (or petrochem fertilizer) to your yard if it can be avoided.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:28 AM

3,442 posts, read 4,418,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Spraying herbicide around the entire perimeter of a yard is a lot of work and will look terrible to have those uneven dead spots (read: mud).
If you want to know just how terrible, go to any dog park and look at the trails along the fence.

I have had a wood fence for years and use a trimmer. Never had a problem. If you're worried about it, you can put some metal edging along the bottom of the fence.

comparing the sprayed area to trails in a dog park is apples to oranges.

traffic on the dog trails is what turns them into a muddy mess.

I doubt there will be traffic under a privacy fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or