U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 07:26 AM

102 posts, read 229,082 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new to gardening. This is the first time I am experimenting with plants and they are doing decent. I have been growing some herbs and flowers and used miracle grow potting soil and some miracle grow feed for them.

Now I have planned to start some eggplant, cucumber, spinach, peppers etc and was thinking that it would be nice to do organic. The guy who sold me the eggplant suggested that I use mushroom compost and some fish emulsion as feed. When I googled mushroom compost, it said that it could produce a lot of heat and could kill the plants. IS that so ? If then, what other compost/potting mix can I use for the plants ? Can I just get an organic version of the miracle grow ?

And I will be doing all this only in pots in my small patio. I get fairly good sun for 6-8 hours. WHat other vegetables will be good to grow in small/big pots in a balcony.

All suggestions will be welcome. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 04:26 PM

102 posts, read 229,082 times
Some one, Any help pls ???

Old 04-30-2012, 05:33 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,597,810 times
the best potting mix ive fond thus far is rabbit poop, regular potting soil (no miracal grow ect) and peat moss, (ill be honest...its MOSTLY rabbit poop lol)

but miracle grow does make an "organic"
Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix - Scotts Miracle-Gro

Old 04-30-2012, 07:52 PM

128 posts, read 730,726 times
Since you have just started out, I would suggest you go with MiracleGro Organic or any similar organic pre-mixed soil.

If you really really want to use compost & create your own soil mix, then I suggest you google "soil mix" or "square foot gardening mix" or similar terms. You will find thousands of suggestions 7 different formulae. Vermiculate, peat moss & compost is common and baseline for Square Foot Gardening fans. It is recommended to mix 2 or more varieties of compost together and add to your soil.

And yes, Compost and especially Manure can theoretically "generate heat & burn" your plants, especially the fresh transplants or tender, young ones. So do not plant in pure compost or manure, though some people disagree. I always mix them thoroughly in soil.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,582,520 times
Sdh,
Growing a plant in a container or pot is totally different as far as soil mix
than growing it in the ground.
You use container mix when you grow plants in pots.
You must water more often because the plants are contained in the
pot.
Growing plants in the ground is a totally different soil medium.
Now you are talking the earth, which is the soil, uncontained,
which many people amend or add different soil ingredients to for
the fastest growth for veggies. You don't neccesarily have to water
as often when the plants are in ground.
You asked about containers or pots for veggies.
Buy any soil mix for a container that you are happy with.
Just look at pics online for the size of containers that others have
grown that particular veggie in so you get a big enuf pot.
Veggies grow fast.
Water when the top 2 inches of soil is dry.
If you buy Miracle Grw soil mix, it already has the Mg fertilizer in the
mix so you don't need anything but water. You can burn them if you
overfertilize.
organic refers to NO CHEMICAL BUG KILLERS. NO spray.
Since you are just starting out with pots for veggies, stick
with MG soil mix and water. You will be fine.
No compost in the Miracle Grow mix, you don't need it.
I use composted (broken down ) animal Poo in the ground.
Composted animal poo is already broken down, it doesn't
burn anything. You should never put fresh animal poo on any
plant, it will burn it. Use composted manure in the ground.
Good luck with your pots and happy eating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden