U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Status: "Techno-challenged anonymous repper" (set 20 days ago)

1,156 posts, read 923,235 times

Advertisements

Ooh I bet that looks wonderful...candles always add to an arrangement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,805,737 times
^^^I love candles...
they practically save my life during my need for light quite a few times...
eg. Irene (7+ days without power)

I think I love air plant for house plant b/c I really never have had too much green thumb luck w/ indoor house plants.
Hopefully they do better under my thumb. heheheh.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:17 PM

2,638 posts, read 10,495,562 times
Well, I do love my tillis! Hence the name.

I grow the type which have lots of trichomes and are pretty white and fuzzy, velvety to the touch. Those do best for me in my microclimate. I have a caput-medusae that is blooming now, several types of ionantha, a nice clump of funkiana, some neglecta, crocata, hondurensis, kurt-horstii, loliacea, of course some usneoides (better known as Spanish Moss), and a few others I can't remember the names of at the moment. I prefer the miniature types. I grow them outdoors on my balcony at the rail but under the roof overhang, suspended from strings that hang from a rack I built out of modular closet material, 2 ft. square and 3 ft. tall. I water them regularly and they also get some natural rain. They love good air movement and humidity and they get that, too. I have a special fertilizer that I bought from Tropiflora just for epiphytes that I use now and then when I remember it. Don't use fertilizer that is not specific for epiphytes, it's better to use nothing than the wrong fert.

As for pups, some species are naturally prolific such as ionantha. I started with a single individual which grew very slowly for a long time. It was just resting (not actually planted into soil) on a tiny shallow bonsai accent pot. Eventually, it bloomed, and ever since then, watch out! It is now a nice clump, still needs a little filling in, but each iteration of bloom and pup produces more and more plants in the clump. I now have three different cultivars of this species and will probably get a few more, and maybe some hybrids. I love ionanthas!

On the other hand, the caput-medusae also started as a single pup, and after it bloomed it made only one pup, which bloomed the next year and again made only one pup. For years I let it repeat this cycle but after the last time I decided I really wanted more of this one and so when the pup was 2/3 the size the mother plant, I broke it off and tied it to the mother's string. The mother then threw three pups at once, so I have all those, too! Weee! But the pup that I removed initially did not bloom until now, several years later, and the smaller pups won't bloom until next year, maybe longer. Make sure you err on the side of leaving the pup on longer as very small pups will sometimes die if separated too early and even if they don't, it will take them a very long time to reach blooming size. Caput-medusae is one of my first ones, and one of my favorites for its strange, branching inflorescence and extremely twisty leaves which make it very interesting even when it is not in bloom.

Most of my air plants came from Tropiflora, Rainforest Flora, and Bird Rock Tropicals. I had positive experiences with them all, but Tropiflora in Sarasota is my personal favorite for Tillandsias and bromeliads in general. Don't get me started on Neoregelia!

Old 05-04-2012, 06:22 PM

2,638 posts, read 10,495,562 times
By the way, Tillandsia do not "infest" trees and you do not need to pay anyone to remove recurvata (ball moss) or Spanish moss from trees in the southeast US - that's a scam. They don't hurt the tree, they simply use it for support, and they are native! The confusion results from the fact that as trees near the end of their lives, they will host greater and great numbers of Tillandsia since more light reaches the branches as the tree produces less leaves. Eventually the tree dies and the epiphytes continue to live on what remains of the tree, but they did not cause the death of the tree, they just made the most of extra sunlight. They take what they need from the air and rain, they do not harm the trees they use for support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or