U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,804,868 times

Advertisements

Tillandsia (Air Plant)

air plant - Google Search
Tillandsia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How to care for your tillandsia aka Tilly, Airplant, or Air Plant

Who else is into them????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:17 PM

3,583 posts, read 10,242,083 times
Down here one type is called "Ball Moss". Its a real pain when it infests the trees. There are exterminators that work specifically to eliminate it!

Would you like some? I'd be happy to send you a few thousand plants!

Tillandsia recurvata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-03-2012, 01:35 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,090,866 times
When I was a kid we had an air plant in a mahogany tree in our yard (florida). Both native.
It was such a conversation piece because it was in the front yard and everyone noticed it. It was almost like a member of the family.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
When I was a kid we had an air plant in a mahogany tree in our yard (florida). Both native.
It was such a conversation piece because it was in the front yard and everyone noticed it. It was almost like a member of the family.
Was it a staghorn fern? We had one on the tree in our front yard. We called it the 6th kid in our family Heres a picture of one.

PlantFiles: Picture #1 of Common Staghorn Fern, Elkhorn Fern, Antelope Ears (Platycerium bifurcatum)

Old 05-03-2012, 02:39 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,090,866 times
Nope. It was Tillandsia.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Down here one type is called "Ball Moss". Its a real pain when it infests the trees. There are exterminators that work specifically to eliminate it!

Would you like some? I'd be happy to send you a few thousand plants!

Tillandsia recurvata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wow!!!
Thanks VaCat & for the comment... I do not want to introduce anything that can infest my area.. lol!
They do look cute though... even if they are "pesty"?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Wow!!!
Thanks VaCat & for the comment... I do not want to introduce anything that can infest my area.. lol!
They do look cute though... even if they are "pesty"?
We call them "tree tumbleweeds". Everytime we get a wind storm they are all over the ground! Yo are right though...some airplants look great when you get creative with mounting them on a wall or a bark stand!

Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Thanks for the comment.
The reason I ask is because I just bought 3 different types (to play around with)... DH says they are strange and or weird... like aliens. lol!!! He is kinda scared of them. Maybe I'll start treating them like a family pet or something just to freak him out more...

Can anyone share how to "best" care for them???

And if you want "pups", how long do you keep the plant before they produces them??? Will it die after having "pups"???

How fast do they grow???
(I fell in love with a "big" head size "Harrisii" but bought a smaller version of it)
Google Image Result for http://www.keyessentials.co.uk/image/cache/data/air-plants/varieties/air-plant-tillandsia-himnorum-k125-500x500.jpg

Old 05-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Status: "Techno-challenged anonymous repper" (set 19 days ago)

1,151 posts, read 922,696 times
LOVE tillandsia!! My favorite two ways to display them:
1) group an odd number in clusters on a manzaneta branch. The irregular lines of the branch, especially when inserted vertically into a cube vase with sand or stone to anchor....smashing!
2) place one in a glass bubble. Hang bubble from fishing line. Suspend several at different lengths....say 3 in a corner of the bath or 5 hanging from light fixture over dining table.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:44 PM

^^^Mine is on a cherry wood block with my candle display right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or