U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:19 AM

63,553 posts, read 45,911,436 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with killing grubs under a planted veggie garden?

I planted my 30 tomatoes and by the time I got to the 25th one I noticed grubs half foot under ground.

Since the Tomatoes (and others veggies) are planted in the bed, is there something to kill these grubs or do you think I'll be ok.

Its still early in season and I'm worried I wont have a crop this year. :-( But I dont want to use chemicals around my young plants.

I only saw a couple and according to Bayer its not worth treating. But How do I know if I missed them in other spots? I also keep seeing treatments for grass but nothing for vegetable gardens.

Dealing With Lawn Grubs | Bayer Advanced
Quote:
0–5 grubs: No need to treat.
6–9 grubs: No need to treat a healthy lawn – unless animals are digging to feed on grubs. In a large yard, you may want to treat highly visible, used areas, but not treat the “back 40” section. A stressed, less healthy lawn will likely require treatment.
10 or more: This many grubs will likely create visible damage to a lawn. Plan to treat.
Scotts GrubEx1 Season-Long Grub Killer - Scotts Miracle-Gro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 07:40 AM

588 posts, read 1,130,267 times
I think it will be fine for now. Grubs have just about finished feeding and will soon be pupating and then becoming beetles. The beetles don't eat roots.

I would be sure to treat that area in the late summer/fall, though.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 AM

63,553 posts, read 45,911,436 times
Interesting. I didn't even know they become beetles. Lol. That actually worries me more now but I guess that's easily treated with organic insect spray then. Beetles attack the stem and leaves I think.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:26 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,727,851 times
Now I think I've figured out where all the beetles by my front door came from! This is the first time I've seen them, and I've been here 10 years. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 AM

672 posts, read 1,709,050 times
Earlier this spring, I found my young veggies getting annihilated over night. I found grubs in the soil. I am gardening in a 4'x4'x1' raised garden with a weed cloth on the bottom. After digging and digging around, I realized my best course was to meticulously remove the soil, removing every grub I found. I ended up with over 20 plus 2 tomato hornworms in cases. Once I got all the grubs, my problems with grubs taking my food decreased to zero.

I am now treating the soil with Bt (milky spore) because of grubs and fungas gnats. Those gnats love manure and I've got lots

Old 05-06-2012, 08:49 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,147,259 times
If you get beetles on your tomato plants (not that common unless they don't have much else to go to that they like better) you can use any one of the organic insecticidal soaps to spray them directly. It's just as easy to flick them into a jar of plain soapy water and less expensive. For more general control buy some Milky Spore and spread it according to the directions later in the summer, depending on where you live generally July through September. It is a bacterial disease that only infects grubs (of Japanese Beetles and June Bugs) and last for many years. Once it is in the ground you will have fewer grubs every year.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:21 AM

68,158 posts, read 78,046,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Interesting. I didn't even know they become beetles. Lol. That actually worries me more now but I guess that's easily treated with organic insect spray then. Beetles attack the stem and leaves I think.
I didn't either. I am totally surprised because the those around here who gardne a lot and the exterinators suggust we use grub killer all summer to keep them out of our grass. They live in the grass and the armadillos dig holes in the grass so they can feast on the grubs. Someone is telling somebody something wrong. I wonder who it is: I certainly don't know.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
If you get beetles on your tomato plants (not that common unless they don't have much else to go to that they like better) you can use any one of the organic insecticidal soaps to spray them directly. It's just as easy to flick them into a jar of plain soapy water and less expensive. For more general control buy some Milky Spore and spread it according to the directions later in the summer, depending on where you live generally July through September. It is a bacterial disease that only infects grubs (of Japanese Beetles and June Bugs) and last for many years. Once it is in the ground you will have fewer grubs every year.
where do you get the organic soaps? The past 2 years we have had Japenese Beetles coming out of the woodwork I think. Well not realy but they love the green beans. I have no idea how to get rid or them and don't want to use anything that will endanger the garden soil unless I have to.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:43 AM

588 posts, read 1,130,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
where do you get the organic soaps? The past 2 years we have had Japenese Beetles coming out of the woodwork I think. Well not realy but they love the green beans. I have no idea how to get rid or them and don't want to use anything that will endanger the garden soil unless I have to.
Organic insecticidal soaps are available just about everywhere-- Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, garden centers, etc.

Milky Spore is a great control to use because it truly only affects white grubs. Your soil will not be toxic to anything other than white grubs.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
Organic insecticidal soaps are available just about everywhere-- Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, garden centers, etc.

Milky Spore is a great control to use because it truly only affects white grubs. Your soil will not be toxic to anything other than white grubs.
thanks a lot. I will give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or