U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:25 PM

2,939 posts, read 10,756,509 times

Advertisements

Right now, if you think you see any signs of life in these plants....just leave them alone. Keep them nicely watered and wait. Don't do anything else.

If they manage to plump out a leaf or two, don't get too optimistic. Don't pamper them, don't fertilize, don't do nuthin. Try to maintain an even keel soil moisture and stand aside hoping that nature will overcome adversity.

Sometimes intervening to 'help' is more detrimental than doing nothing.

~~In the event of failure, there's always next year with past lessons learned~~

That's how all of us found out what works and what doesn't

(Anybody recall the origin of some philosophical platitude about how we learn from our failures but not from success?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 11:14 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,130,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Right now, if you think you see any signs of life in these plants....just leave them alone. Keep them nicely watered and wait. Don't do anything else.

If they manage to plump out a leaf or two, don't get too optimistic. Don't pamper them, don't fertilize, don't do nuthin. Try to maintain an even keel soil moisture and stand aside hoping that nature will overcome adversity.

Sometimes intervening to 'help' is more detrimental than doing nothing.
Sounds good to me...I have enough to do with the rest of the garden to keep myself occupied, thankfully...the veggies, herbs and other flowers are all looking good . Unfortunately, the dreaded task of digging out this land also keeps me busy...this dirt is dead, so I have several raised beds but have been slowly but surely digging out the rocks and caliche in all the areas that are not concrete, section by section, sifting out the dirt, and then putting it back in and amending it with organic compost and garden soil. I'm using the big rocks I unearth in the landscaping, so I'm also learning a bit about the joys of making stone retaining walls without mortar, which is fun...kind of like a jigsaw puzzle you need to be wearing big, heavy boots for .

Quote:

Very true...whenever I paint with watercolor, I call those "happy accidents" because not only do I discover what doesn't work for the result I was aiming for, I also discover how to incorporate it so it still "works"...and in many cases, the end result is even cooler than the original plan...I'll have to draw on those experiences in the event that some of these plants don't survive, to figure out what available (and already growing) roses or companion plants will look beautiful in the empty spaces !

Thanks so much for all your help!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:28 AM

2,063 posts, read 5,973,850 times
Quote:

(Anybody recall the origin of some philosophical platitude about how we learn from our failures but not from success?)

^^Probably the best single piece of garden advice! ^^

I couldn't find the quote or cliche you paraphrased but found a few quotes that cover some of the same thoughts:

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field..... Niels Bohr

Experience teaches slowly and at the cost of mistakes....James A. Froude

While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior..... Henry C. Link

These quotations on mistakes, and others, can be found here:Mistakes Quotes - The Quotations Page

Old 05-14-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
^^Probably the best single piece of garden advice! ^^

I couldn't find the quote or cliche you paraphrased but found a few quotes that cover some of the same thoughts:

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field..... Niels Bohr

Experience teaches slowly and at the cost of mistakes....James A. Froude

While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior..... Henry C. Link

These quotations on mistakes, and others, can be found here:Mistakes Quotes - The Quotations Page
Right on !

Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 AM

32,538 posts, read 28,129,080 times
Enjoy the process as much as the results.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:15 AM

12,377 posts, read 16,641,374 times
my granny was a wonderful rose grower and she always told me , water em and leave them alone . She had roses that people would stop by and look at from the car . She said roses are often like teenagers . Just give em plenty to eat and some love and leave em alone and they will be fine LOL !!! she sure was right I used to have a house (foreclosure long story ) with a beautiful rose garden and everyone used to stop and ask what was my secret . I used to tell them treat them like teenagers , just give em plenty to eat and some love and leave em alone and they will be fine . LOL !!! I miss my granny a whole lot ....

Old 05-16-2012, 11:48 AM

32,538 posts, read 28,129,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
my granny was a wonderful rose grower and she always told me , water em and leave them alone . She had roses that people would stop by and look at from the car ...
I totally agree with your granny!

(And to brag a little - I used to look out the window and see people standing in our rose garden (which was in the front of the house near the street) taking pictures of each other. Graduation day was HUGE, lol. My DH finally put in a large stepping stone for people to stand on. I used to wonder if they sent the photos to out-of-state relatives saying, "look at my garden!")

Old 05-16-2012, 11:59 AM

23,168 posts, read 56,850,357 times
In caliifornia I planted 72 roses around the perimeter of our front yard (not all a once a few at a time). Excpet for three specialty roses from a nursery all were bare root purchased towards the end of the selling period when they marked them down. All I ever did was dig a hole, fill it with potting soil create an opening and shove the bare root roses in and then water them like crazy the first day. I wodl cut them back a little bit to get rid of any dried out portions at the top. I did not water again untl the soil looked dry. They grew like weeds. Generally bloomed within a few weeks and then continued blooming like mad all year (depending on the type). The biggest problem was keeping them trimmed back. I also made some mistakes in selection (I bought the first ones based on what the flowers looked like. I did not know the difference between Gandiflora, tea Rose, Floribunda and shrub rose. Why cant they just all them really big roses, little scrubby roses normal roses and roses that get lots and lots of small flowers? At least I know climbing roses were nto what I wanted.)

Some people did not like my choosing one of each different kind that I thought was pretty. htey said our yard looked like a "melted box of crayons" Other people thought it was beautiful. I liked the latter people better.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I used to wonder if they sent the photos to out-of-state relatives saying, "look at my garden!")
Hahaha! I wouldn't doubt it !

Old 05-16-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Some people did not like my choosing one of each different kind that I thought was pretty. htey said our yard looked like a "melted box of crayons" Other people thought it was beautiful. I liked the latter people better.
I think I would have fit in with the latter group...bright, semi-organized chaos is what I gravitate to in general .

And GUESS WHAT?!
I see evidence of new growth on one of my roses!
The icing on the cake is that it's my favorite rose of all between the ones I selected, a burgandy iceberg floribunda...GO PURPLE !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or