U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 08:05 AM

130 posts, read 418,220 times

Advertisements

We have a few indoor herbs that have attracted fungus gnats (I presume from overwatering). We grew them from seeds. We have since put the herbs outside to let them dry out, and in hopes of ridding them of the fungus gnats. It has been over a week now and the gnats are still there.

Does anyone have any tips on getting rid of the gnats so we can move the herbs back inside? I have heard of sand, pesticidal soap/etc. but am unsure if that is okay since we will in fact be consuming the herbs.

I guess the other option is to completely start over with new seeds and attempt to control the problem from the beginning, rather than after it has already started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:17 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,263,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley14 View Post
We have a few indoor herbs that have attracted fungus gnats (I presume from overwatering). We grew them from seeds. We have since put the herbs outside to let them dry out, and in hopes of ridding them of the fungus gnats. It has been over a week now and the gnats are still there.

Does anyone have any tips on getting rid of the gnats so we can move the herbs back inside? I have heard of sand, pesticidal soap/etc. but am unsure if that is okay since we will in fact be consuming the herbs.

I guess the other option is to completely start over with new seeds and attempt to control the problem from the beginning, rather than after it has already started.
The fungus gnats are still hatching out and will take a while to get less but will probably always be a bit of a problem. They like moist nutrient rich soils that support fungi which is why letting the soil dry out between watering (at least down to an inch or two of the soil) helps keep their numbers lower. You'll need to keep that upper soil dry more than not for at least another week or two while waiting for the last ones to hatch out.

Most of the available fungus gnat controls would not be healthy for you to consume since they are designed for houseplants. If you really want to keep the gnats out it may pay to re-pot the herbs or start again with a sterile medium or soil that has no compost or other decaying matter in it and watch the moisture levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden