U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 10:04 AM

19 posts, read 30,687 times

Advertisements

Hello! Last year, my boyfriend acquired some chilli pepper seeds from some magazine he bought, and he went about planting them. They grew incredibly slowly, but then... nothing.

In the past few weeks, however, something has been growing in the pot! I looked on Google, and it looks like no chilli plant on there, but I looked at the neighbours' flowerbeds, and if it's a weed, it's localised to our pot only!

Here's a picture:

Do we have a chilli plant, or are we cultivating some sort of weed?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
That doesn't look like any pepper plant I've ever seen. I have no idea what it is!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:07 AM

13,105 posts, read 17,646,574 times
Im sorry to say but I do believe that is a weed . I could be wrong but I have seen chilli plants and that does not look like one to me ? maybe someone on here can tell better than I can .Good luck and I hope your chilli plants come up dear have fun and a great day .

Old 05-16-2012, 02:05 PM

19 posts, read 30,687 times
Thank you both for your responses. I do have another question, if anyone's able to answer.

Without a greenhouse or any special equipment, what's the hottest type of chilli one can grow just in a pot in the garden, using standard compost?
Do bear in mind, typical British climate

We like our spicy food, like, and we figure growing our own will be awesome.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:49 PM

434 posts, read 419,924 times
It's not any pepper plant that I have seen

Old 05-17-2012, 12:32 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkalla View Post
Without a greenhouse or any special equipment, what's the hottest type of chilli one can grow just in a pot in the garden, using standard compost?
Do bear in mind, typical British climate
Peppers do like a hot, dry growing season. But I've successfully grown peppers in cool, wet summers as well.

A pepper called Bhut Jolokia is supposedly the hottest pepper known to this planet, but I'm just as happy with habanero (scotch bonnet) or jalapeno. Thai and serrano peppers are hot. Some banana peppers are hotter than others.

Most peppers, too, get hotter if you let them turn red or orange on the vine. For instance, a poblano allowed to turn red on the plant is hotter (and has a richer flavor) than one picked when it's still green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or