U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:48 AM

29,988 posts, read 35,848,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
in terms of fencing have you thought about simple wire and T-posts since its a rental, a 50ft roll of welded wire at 4ft tall is about $35 (3ft is even cheper) t-posts are few bucks a peice, and when its time to leave the whole thing comes up with just a few little dirt holes to fill in. roll it up nd take it on with you.

Otherwise ive always loved the motion detector sprinkler systems for pesky anything, the kids will either find it increidbly fun or realy upsetting, generally works well for the rbbits and squirrels too.
Even chicken wire would do the trick and much less expensive than woven wire. I found some mini-posts (about 4 ft. tall and the diameter of re-bar) at the hardware store last week for under $2/each. They are plenty sturdy enough for chickenwire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,832,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
So it's game on now. Between the rabbits, Fat Louie (the darn squirrel that my youngest thought it was cute to feed and is now HUGE!), and the stupid "Jesus neighbors", my garden is going to hell.

Seriously, I caught 3 bunnies munching on my lettuce last night, then early this morning Fat Louie was in the backyard chewing on radishes; then just a few mins ago I catch the stupid neighbour's kids out there digging things up while the whiney Dad is WATCHING them and not stopping them!

I went OFF! Dad didn't even make them apologize, and shrugged it off due to the middle one's mental state. BAH!

I can fix the bunnies with cayenne pepper sprinkled over stuff, but I'm not sure about Fat Louie (any advice?) I am having hubby save pee to pour around the border and I am going to order cougar pee as well, but what to do with the neighbours from HELL?!*

*These are the same neighbours from the rental forum BTW if anyone read that post.

Any ideas to fix the human intruders? I can fix the animals, and I fully plan on talking to the Mom, she's the only sane one of the bunch, but other than that, well that and the cops that is. The cops won't do anything about kids in a garden.
Doesn't female urine work?

Old 05-21-2012, 12:44 PM

83 posts, read 218,236 times
I think his family tree is more of a wreath.

Bwahahahah!!!! I love that! Seriously though, I think your best bet would be chicken wire. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:57 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,771,355 times
ive never had any luck with chicken wire, raccoons and possum just shred it like its paper, but i guess if your only fighting rabbit and kids (cause fence will do nothing for squirrel) chicken wire should work

Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,488,669 times
Agreed, a roll of chicken wire and some rebar posts or t-posts.

You can just fence off your garden and leave the rest of your yard open. As for your neighbors...yup gotta love those "good christians"

Old 05-21-2012, 01:17 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,052,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

You could also try products like “Liquid Fence” - but it will not work on neighbors.
It might... at least when you first put it on. That stuff smells pretty bad.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:45 PM

990 posts, read 1,473,223 times
See if you have a witches' coven and invite them to hold services in your yard.
If you don't have a coven, start one.

If the parents truly believe, they'll want their precious darling children as far away from evil incarnate as they can. Maybe they'll even move to another state.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:09 PM

9,274 posts, read 5,784,185 times
I'd be tempted to shoot Fat Louie while your kids are gone, just saying. And the neighbor's kids, or any other unwanted kids for that matter, an ankle monitor should work like a charm. I once saw one on ebay.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:14 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,052,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Doesn't female urine work?
If the problem is foxes, the answer is no, it has to be male urine. I don't know why. Also, don't know if squirrels give a hoot about human urine. They're not scared of humans, so it might not scare them off at all.

If you have squirrels in your attic, one piece of folksy advice I read was to scare them out by playing Metallica. You could try it. Might also work on the neighbors. (Personally I think the squirrels and the neighbors are easier to tolerate...)

Old 05-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times
I had a neighbor in a duplex who had this one disco album they loved to pieces. It was played and played and played. Morning. Afternoon. Evening. They needed the true disco feel of the walls moving. I tried asking nicely. They ignored me.

I had some wonderful classical music. Full very loud orchestra. Lots of Bethoveen. Stirring elements guarenteed to drown out disco. A better sterio with better base speakers placed right next to their wall helped.

Disco went on. Classical went on. Disco truned up. Classical truned up. Once it took a whole half hour of musical battle until disco went off. Then Classical. After awhile each time theirs went on, mine went on, and theirs and then mine went off.

There's some really nice pagan music on You tube which the neighbors would probably not enjoy if you played it to your garden as a blessing. Or have your pagan friends do circle around the garden. I'll bet there wouldn't be any child problems then and it might make your garden prosper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden