Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:59 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,577 times

Advertisements

So it's game on now. Between the rabbits, Fat Louie (the darn squirrel that my youngest thought it was cute to feed and is now HUGE!), and the stupid "Jesus neighbors", my garden is going to hell.

Seriously, I caught 3 bunnies munching on my lettuce last night, then early this morning Fat Louie was in the backyard chewing on radishes; then just a few mins ago I catch the stupid neighbour's kids out there digging things up while the whiney Dad is WATCHING them and not stopping them!

I went OFF! Dad didn't even make them apologize, and shrugged it off due to the middle one's mental state. BAH!

I can fix the bunnies with cayenne pepper sprinkled over stuff, but I'm not sure about Fat Louie (any advice?) I am having hubby save pee to pour around the border and I am going to order cougar pee as well, but what to do with the neighbours from HELL?!*

*These are the same neighbours from the rental forum BTW if anyone read that post.

Any ideas to fix the human intruders? I can fix the animals, and I fully plan on talking to the Mom, she's the only sane one of the bunch, but other than that, well that and the cops that is. The cops won't do anything about kids in a garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 12:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
So it's game on now. Between the rabbits, Fat Louie (the darn squirrel that my youngest thought it was cute to feed and is now HUGE!), and the stupid "Jesus neighbors", my garden is going to hell.

Seriously, I caught 3 bunnies munching on my lettuce last night, then early this morning Fat Louie was in the backyard chewing on radishes; then just a few mins ago I catch the stupid neighbour's kids out there digging things up while the whiney Dad is WATCHING them and not stopping them!

I went OFF! Dad didn't even make them apologize, and shrugged it off due to the middle one's mental state. BAH!

I can fix the bunnies with cayenne pepper sprinkled over stuff, but I'm not sure about Fat Louie (any advice?) I am having hubby save pee to pour around the border and I am going to order cougar pee as well, but what to do with the neighbours from HELL?!*

*These are the same neighbours from the rental forum BTW if anyone read that post.

Any ideas to fix the human intruders? I can fix the animals, and I fully plan on talking to the Mom, she's the only sane one of the bunch, but other than that, well that and the cops that is. The cops won't do anything about kids in a garden.
Fence, no trespassing signs, video cameras, and, motion detecting sprinklers.

Fencing and/or motion detector sprinklers should work on the 4-legged thieves as well as the 2-legged ones.

As for Fat Louie, you could always set a rat trap (secure to something heavy so he doesn't drag it off) baited with peanut butter and put an end to his short life. Stew his meat if it will make you feel better about not wasting him.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:24 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
From Robert Frost: “Good fences make good neighbors!” How large is your shared Property line? Lowes and Home Depot have six foot high fencing sections and eight foot long for about $30. It might be a great time to invest in a good fence.

As far as the rabbits; they make deer fencing that is seven foot high and one hundred feet long for around your actually garden - it will not work on squirrels and groundhogs.

If it were legal; I would tell you to eat the squirrel. However, from past experience; I found that every dead squirrel invites two to the funeral.

You could also try products like “Liquid Fence” - but it will not work on neighbors.

Anyway; welcome to gardening! Your are creating memories that will last a lifetime. Make sure to keep a good sense of humor.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:26 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Jesus neighbors?

As for all the other problems: kill it with fire!!

Old 05-20-2012, 12:59 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,798,388 times
Barbed wire for the neighbor's kids?

Actually, if you dose the garden soil heavily with ground cayenne pepper, some kid is bound to get some in their face if they start digging.

i know, I'm mean, but I've fought dogs, cats, squirrels, deer, a possible woodchuck, and a neighbor who threw a fit because while I was watering my garden some of my water sprinkled over on her plants.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:47 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Jesus neighbors?

As for all the other problems: kill it with fire!!
Yeah, they are "super religious Christians", and hate that and I quote "a filthy Jew b*tch" lives next door to them. Pleasant huh? Every time they are outside, they BLAST the Gospel channel with very traditional Christian music. Some of the newer stuff is pretty cool, but this is OLD SCHOOL devout stuff, and drowns out my Black Sabbath in my ear buds!

Here's the post about them I posted before:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/24323370-post10.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
Barbed wire for the neighbor's kids?

Actually, if you dose the garden soil heavily with ground cayenne pepper, some kid is bound to get some in their face if they start digging.

i know, I'm mean, but I've fought dogs, cats, squirrels, deer, a possible woodchuck, and a neighbor who threw a fit because while I was watering my garden some of my water sprinkled over on her plants.
I thought about the cayenne pepper, might have to text hubby to pick a big container up at the store!

I can't add fencing, since it's a rental, not to mention we are on a very tight budget (one reason why we garden, to save money on food among other reasons), so I have to be creative.

Oh yes, the constant watering. The husband comments about that too. I don't even use a hose either, I fill a 5 gallon bucket, and ladle the water at the base of the plants (so nothing is getting in their yard),a nd he complains about me wasting HIS water supply for some stupid plants, and let's not get started about his attitude when he found out I was organically gardening(not certified, but only compost, free range organically grown chicken poop, and water is going on these veggies!); he just didn't understand.

Seriously, he's touched, and not in the good way. I think his family tree is more of a wreath.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:29 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,849,745 times
in terms of fencing have you thought about simple wire and T-posts since its a rental, a 50ft roll of welded wire at 4ft tall is about $35 (3ft is even cheper) t-posts are few bucks a peice, and when its time to leave the whole thing comes up with just a few little dirt holes to fill in. roll it up nd take it on with you.

Otherwise ive always loved the motion detector sprinkler systems for pesky anything, the kids will either find it increidbly fun or realy upsetting, generally works well for the rbbits and squirrels too.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:44 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,022 times
Three words:

Electric fence charger

Electric Fence Chargers | Fishock

Old 05-20-2012, 06:16 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post

Can you just pour some pee on them when they come over?

Edit: I just read your post about the neighbors. Tell 'em it's Holy Water.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:25 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,390,574 times
LOL LOLLL at all these posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden