Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 03:41 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I use sun screen, but still achieve a really good tan. I've got one already, and it's not even June yet.
Hence the question. Unseasonably hot weather lately even here north of USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Lately, I have been doing a good chunk of the gardening in the evening when it's cooler and it's actually pretty nice outside.
I am starting to feel like early mornings-late evenings with a siesta in between is not a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 07:11 AM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Don't forget the red neck.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:16 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,384,486 times
This morning I sprayed fungicide on 27 tomato plants and 2 Atlantic Giant Pumpkin plants.

I began at 6:00 AM

It took me approx 40 minutes.

Voila no farmer tan.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:05 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Started in the garden at 7 this morning, just came in now to do other things......as soon as the sun got high enough, I sprayed on sunblock.
Off to the shower now!

Old 05-26-2012, 11:34 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
i dont get a farmers tan...instead i get red headed white girl BURN! i go the color of a ripe mater then i go the color of ghost again lol.
so for me, i garden in the early moning (before 10am) in the evenings (after about 6pm) and if im even condsdering looking at the outisde world the rest of the day, loose fitting cotton clothes and sunblock! high spf, baby frinedly sunblock, every hour...lol

Old 05-27-2012, 06:41 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i dont get a farmers tan...instead i get red headed white girl BURN! i go the color of a ripe mater then i go the color of ghost again lol.
so for me, i garden in the early moning (before 10am) in the evenings (after about 6pm) and if im even condsdering looking at the outisde world the rest of the day, loose fitting cotton clothes and sunblock! high spf, baby frinedly sunblock, every hour...lol
That is how my VERY Scottish MIL is. She had three colors, white, pinkish-red burn, and peeling, lol!

I am out in the garden twice daily currently since we are in a severe drought, and my poor plants would seriously die if I didn't.

Went to our local Farmer's Market yesterday, and that was all anyone could talk about was how bad it was. One of my "gf's" was telling me she has had a $140 water bill increase in the past month alone due to the extra water she has to use to get ANY crop at all.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:44 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
That is how my VERY Scottish MIL is. She had three colors, white, pinkish-red burn, and peeling, lol!

I am out in the garden twice daily currently since we are in a severe drought, and my poor plants would seriously die if I didn't.

Went to our local Farmer's Market yesterday, and that was all anyone could talk about was how bad it was. One of my "gf's" was telling me she has had a $140 water bill increase in the past month alone due to the extra water she has to use to get ANY crop at all.
I hear ya about being dry.
We have a cistern to water the garden, doggone thing has been dry for 2 months.
Theres a tropical storm lurking off the east coast here in FL right now, praying it comes ashore and gives us some relief.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:33 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
I do my gardening in a bikini. No farmer's tan to worry about.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:34 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
early spring I do my gardening in seriously short shorts and a tank top
then as srping goes on I change to an old swimsuit.
that darned red neck though , must put sunscreen on that every day or you won't look
like a farmer but a redneck!

our spring here in the southeastern NC has been pleasant so far, more rain than last year,
less ticks than last year , cooler temps than last year, this will be the best summer ever!

Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
Too old and too self conscious for bikini gardening. I just look like a farmer from March through November these days. Nothing wrong with that.

I do try and keep from looking like the tanning bed people, though, with sunscreen and a big old hat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden