U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 PM

4,761 posts, read 8,390,219 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal, my job will take me away from home to another state for the summer. Because of this, my raised beds are sitting empty and weeds are coming out everywhere. So I got to thinking, why not plant something that is easy to maintain for the summer and, when I come back in the fall, I will be ready to harvest. It seems a shame to waste perfectly fertile raised bed soils to weeds, afterall.

I will put out my drip-irrigation (with a timer) for the raised bed. Right now, I only have sweet potatoes in mind so I am looking for more suggestions. Oh the wife will be home so she can keep an eye on things, but she is not a gardening type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,878,489 times
Bush beans, peas, carrots, onions, garlic, kitchen herbs.

Just a thought, but, if you plant items your wife likes to consume, be it food or flowers, she might be more willing to participate even if she's not been "the gardening type" before.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Bush beans, peas, carrots, onions, garlic, kitchen herbs.
Thanks for the good ideas. I've thought about tomatoes but that would still requires frequent monitoring for those pesky worms.

Quote:
Just a thought, but, if you plant items your wife likes to consume, be it food or flowers, she might be more willing to participate even if she's not been "the gardening type" before.
Are you saying that it is possible to change a woman?

Not all of us are lucky like your husbands who get to married the ladies in this garden forum

Old 05-23-2012, 01:33 PM

34,614 posts, read 42,779,610 times
I'm thinking pumpkin and winter squash... Things you just leave be until fall. things like beans and peas need to be picked all summer.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:04 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,014,710 times
Beans that you can use dried would work. I end up with a fair amount of dried beans when I get tired of picking them fresh.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:33 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,420,740 times
Can you grow winter squash in AL? If so, I'd recommend it...honestly, I don't think any veggies are plant and forget it (weeding, possible watering...pests etc). I think growing vegetables is difficult, but winter squash seems to be one of the easier ones to manage. You can grow pumpkins and butternut, which are always welcome in Fall. I'm growing a couple of heirloom and unusual types this year. Hopefully they're equally delicious.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm thinking pumpkin and winter squash... Things you just leave be until fall. things like beans and peas need to be picked all summer.
I tried butter squash ~2 yrs ago. They were fast growers! In a matter of a few weeks I had vines that stretched 15 feet in length and several good looking squashes. But it seemed over night the vine & leafs began to die, eventually the squashes too. I am just not sure how to prevent this so I have not try to grow them since.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 PM

What do folk think maybe bell peppers? I know my wife likes them and she's probably willing to come out and pick them occassionally.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:41 AM

33,159 posts, read 39,134,921 times
Not sure how your garden works but in my 20X20 plot if i left it all summer with no weeding the weeds would outgrow anything i planted and the resultant mess of weeds would take a long time to eradicate.
If you cant tend your garden this year i'd sacrifice this years growing season and think of anchoring a black plastic sheet over the plot and look forward to next year for a more hands on gardening experience.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:38 AM

6,591 posts, read 19,799,230 times
id go with squash if your looking for a love it and leave it, as pointed out winter suqash is a good choise (and will grwo pretty big pretty quick generally choking out most weeds.
otherwise id say screw it, plant clover and when you get home in the fall turn it all under and tada a fertilized bed ready for some fast growing cool weather crops like lettuce and kale ect...

Clover grows well, fast and dense, will choke out other undesireable weeds for the most part, looks pretty and is great bee food for any loca honey bees...plus its a great cover crop for nitrogen fixing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or