U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 12:40 PM

4,068 posts, read 3,341,767 times

Advertisements

Here's my stories: when I was a kid my older brother spotted a paper wasp nest in a tall tree by the garage. His *brilliant* idea was to get the 22 rifle and shoot it. Amazingly he hit it on the first try. Of course we were all too stupid to realize that the damn thing was going to fall right towards us. We were lucky that we outran the wasps.

The second time hornets took up residence in a hole in the back yard. We found that out because the dog dug them up - and got stung for his trouble. After sundown our dad took gasoline soaked rolls of newspaper and stuffed them in the entrance, then set it on fire.

I don't recommend either method.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 12:59 PM

15,908 posts, read 9,396,536 times
I have a couple of stories to tell as well. Where I lived as a kid there was a yellow jackets nest on the hump in our yard, and so myself and another kid would fill up bottles of water, and then attempt to stand them straight up, so they'd pour into the nest. We'd then dare each other to go kick the bottle away, and then watch them go nuts.

Another instance of screwing with them just to p*** them off was when we went camping in PA. My parents and their friends all went camping at this same place the weekend after Labor Day. The one year the yellow jackets were beyond horrible, and many of us were stung, myself and my mom included. At any rate, in the commons area of this campground there were a few crab apple trees, in which one of them had a bald faced hornet's nest in it the size of a basketball. A bunch of us decided it would be a great idea to throw crab apples at it from a distance to see if we could hit it. That is of course until we were yelled at by an older gentleman telling us that if we knocked that nest down everyone in the vicinity would be stung. Not to mention in grabbing crab apples off of the ground to throw at the nest, we'd discover yellow jackets burrowing into them feeding off of the apples.

Another time when I was camping, I was mowing our lot, and there was a drainage ditch at the end of the lot. I was trimming there, and all of a sudden it felt as something had come out of the mower and hit me in both legs. Well, I stopped the mower, immediately noticed the familiar welts that were starting to form, and knew what they were. I went to tell my parents, who noticed the nest. Fortunately, I was mowing in the early evening when the sun was going down and only got nailed twice. Because if it would have been late morning, or during the afternoon during peak activity I really could have gotten swarmed. A week later a raccoon had dug into the nest, and it was gone.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:54 PM

11,770 posts, read 9,911,864 times
Skunks love yellow jacket nest! I love skunks!

Old 07-13-2015, 03:23 PM

1,689 posts, read 999,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I have a few cans. I have store bought, and then some stuff from one of my former neighbors who worked for Verizon and climbed poles. The spray does not do well for the yellow jackets who nest in the ground. Usually they say to use Sevin dust. I will definitely use precaution to remove any nests that I find. I know how crazy the little bastards get!
This is the way we always deal with yellow jacket nests when they are in the yard where we can't avoid coming in contact with them. This is cruel but hopefully fast. This method is NOT appropriate near any structure!!!!!

We turn on the garden hose, and pull it over near the nest as a precaution. Pour some gasoline down the nest hole...maybe 2 cups...then quickly back off and throw a lit match on the gas. Have the hose ready so the grass or mulch doesn't catch fire. Watch out for yellow jackets returning to the nest or some which have come out the back entrance of the nest. They will be very angry. The fire will burn in the ground for several minutes.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:52 PM

I could not even remember how many years ago I got stung last. But, today, walking under my apple trees one hornet got my number. Apparently I go too close to one nest over my head (which I never saw; until I was stung). That hornet gave me the finger - one swollen middle finger! I did try one fresh cut onion to sooth the pain and it seemed to work until I read that one study stated that onion did not help - so much for the internet; I felt better without it!

I did grab my Black Flag, heavy shirt and safety goggles and immediately sought revenge. I just have to remember not to eat any apples off that side of the tree - if you don't hear from me; I forgot!

This is one of the worst years I can remember for bees on our property. This nest is the fifth that I have removed. I always thought that years with good precipitation were counterproductive to prolific bees - I guess I was wrong.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I could not even remember how many years ago I got stung last. But, today, walking under my apple trees one hornet got my number. Apparently I go too close to one nest over my head (which I never saw; until I was stung). That hornet gave me the finger - one swollen middle finger! I did try one fresh cut onion to sooth the pain and it seemed to work until I read that one study stated that onion did not help - so much for the internet; I felt better without it!

I did grab my Black Flag, heavy shirt and safety goggles and immediately sought revenge. I just have to remember not to eat any apples off that side of the tree - if you don't hear from me; I forgot!

This is one of the worst years I can remember for bees on our property. This nest is the fifth that I have removed. I always thought that years with good precipitation were counterproductive to prolific bees - I guess I was wrong.

Has it been rainy in your neck of the woods like it is here? Maybe that is it. Also, in your experience have you seen any correlation of a bad upcoming winter based on the frequency and aggressiveness of hornets and yellow jackets? It seems like everytime they get especially aggressive the winter turns out to be a bad one. It's like they know. Kind of like the squirrels. My step brother says everytime squirrels gather their nuts early expect a bad winter. Coincidence? Or am I on to something?

Old 07-14-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Has it been rainy in your neck of the woods like it is here? Maybe that is it. Also, in your experience have you seen any correlation of a bad upcoming winter based on the frequency and aggressiveness of hornets and yellow jackets? It seems like everytime they get especially aggressive the winter turns out to be a bad one. It's like they know. Kind of like the squirrels. My step brother says everytime squirrels gather their nuts early expect a bad winter. Coincidence? Or am I on to something?
We have Summers/Falls that crows and squirrels have stripped our fruit trees. So we could speculate that meant that we would have a hard winter. But it could be that the Fall hawk migration was late or maybe the route took a turn? Yes; possibly aggressive bees could mean hard winters - but I would think that would require many years of study to prove or disprove. There could be other factors?

As far as wet in our area: April was dry; but then the weather changed and now, for especially the last two months, we have had plenty of precipitation. I always wondered how the yellow jackets in the ground faired with torrential rains? Possibly that is why we are encountering so many paper nest this year? Tomorrow I will go out and buy our third can of flying wasp/bee killer - normally one would do for the year.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
We have Summers/Falls that crows and squirrels have stripped our fruit trees. So we could speculate that meant that we would have a hard winter. But it could be that the Fall hawk migration was late or maybe the route took a turn? Yes; possibly aggressive bees could mean hard winters - but I would think that would require many years of study to prove or disprove. There could be other factors?

As far as wet in our area: April was dry; but then the weather changed and now, for especially the last two months, we have had plenty of precipitation. I always wondered how the yellow jackets in the ground faired with torrential rains? Possibly that is why we are encountering so many paper nest this year? Tomorrow I will go out and buy our third can of flying wasp/bee killer - normally one would do for the year.

It certainly couldn't hurt to keep extra on hand. As I've mentioned, they're out in my neck of the woods, but I haven't seen an increase in their numbers, nor have they become aggressive. It's coming though. It's the one thing I hate about late summer, and early fall. Pretty soon, I'll have to pour my beer in a glass, so I don't end up with a not so pleasant suprise. Know what I mean?

Old 07-15-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Here's my stories: when I was a kid my older brother spotted a paper wasp nest in a tall tree by the garage. His *brilliant* idea was to get the 22 rifle and shoot it. Amazingly he hit it on the first try. Of course we were all too stupid to realize that the damn thing was going to fall right towards us. We were lucky that we outran the wasps.

The second time hornets took up residence in a hole in the back yard. We found that out because the dog dug them up - and got stung for his trouble. After sundown our dad took gasoline soaked rolls of newspaper and stuffed them in the entrance, then set it on fire.

I don't recommend either method.

I noticed you're in Florida. Do you have the issues with bald faced hornets and yellow jackets that we have up here in the north? They start to get really plentiful and extremely aggressive going into September. I've been to Florida in all seasons, and I've seen your run of the mill bumblebees and honeybees, and some pretty big paper wasps while I was down there, but never seen hornets or yellow jackets down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden