Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:43 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,315 times

Advertisements

So I tried both methods and the Clorox did work better. I diluted it 90% water 10% clorox I did wear rubber gloves and started with a mask but it was just too uncomfortable. With some elbow grease the rails came very clean, it looks so good!
I did the baking soda paste and left it on for 24 hours then we had heavy rain. I checked it after the rain and most of the algae was gone but it was not as clean as the cloroxed rails. Maybe if it had stayed on for another 24 hours. If you have the time and patience the baking soda method would probably work if you are concerned about the toxicity of the clorox, but if you are looking for a quick fix go with the clorox solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:19 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
So I tried both methods and the Clorox did work better. I diluted it 90% water 10% clorox I did wear rubber gloves and started with a mask but it was just too uncomfortable. With some elbow grease the rails came very clean, it looks so good!
I did the baking soda paste and left it on for 24 hours then we had heavy rain. I checked it after the rain and most of the algae was gone but it was not as clean as the cloroxed rails. Maybe if it had stayed on for another 24 hours. If you have the time and patience the baking soda method would probably work if you are concerned about the toxicity of the clorox, but if you are looking for a quick fix go with the clorox solution.

There is a scientific reason for using the baking soda. I don't remember all the science behind it, but the baking soda changes the ph level and will stop the algae from growing back. I had a constant problem with algae re-growing on my wood deck, stairs and side of the house (vinyl siding). Once the baking soda was applied, all have been algae free for five years now.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:44 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
As far as the toxicity of Clorox; they even recommend it to treat wells that test positive for bacteria. In this one link: http://www.ehow.com/way_6130627_do-clorox-well_.html - they recommend pouring five cups of bleach in a well with a six inch diameter well casing. They do recommend flushing the well after the treatment and not watering the grass or garden. It is a strong chemical and has to be respected and used in a safe manner. It does deteriorate quickly in sunlight – just ask anybody with a swimming pool.

The PH of the baking soda might be the key to keeping the mildew from returning. Possibly it could be made into a solution and sprayed on with a garden sprayer - after the Clorox treatment? It might leave a residual white haze on stained wood?

Old 06-15-2012, 05:22 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
What is all this hysteria over bleach?? I use bleach (have used it for over 40 years and I'm healthy and still alive) - but I do agree you need to be careful to not inhale it and do not mix it with ammonia. I use 1/2 cup of bleach in my white clothes every other time I wash, spray a bleach/water mixture on my shower tiles daily - it is a great germ killer and whitener.

Our Southern California house had a wonderful white picket fence that my husband built - it needed to be repained about every 3 years....lots of moisture because we were close to the beach and the fence developed mold.

One year we hired professional painters to paint the fence and they used a commercial grade mold killer on the fence - they told me that it was much stronger than bleach. They then used a paint that had anti-mold properties (many paints have this now). The fence was mold free for several years.

When we repainted the fence a few years later, we wiped it down with a bleach/water mixture - mostly bleach - gave it a little scrub with a nail brush (this was time-consuming for sure). When you are outdoors there is no problem with using bleach (of course you don't want to inhale it but wiping things down is not a problem) - I have never used a mask when using bleach - never....we didn't spray the bleach on the fence, we wiped it down and I wore disposable gloves. It helped with the mold but didn't completely get rid of it....for that you need a commercial grade mold killer although the use of baking soda sounds interesting - I think you should try that first.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Cattknap; 06-15-2012 at 05:35 AM..

Old 06-16-2012, 11:54 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
What is all this hysteria over bleach?? I use bleach (have used it for over 40 years and I'm healthy and still alive) - but I do agree you need to be careful to not inhale it and do not mix it with ammonia. I use 1/2 cup of bleach in my white clothes every other time I wash, spray a bleach/water mixture on my shower tiles daily - it is a great germ killer and whitener.

Our Southern California house had a wonderful white picket fence that my husband built - it needed to be repained about every 3 years....lots of moisture because we were close to the beach and the fence developed mold.
Good post. Maybe bleach is a So Cal thing. (That's where I used it.) One El Nino winter with a lot of rain and damp and everyone I knew was using bleach to clean mold and mildew.

(I also kept plain bleach handy to use in case the Big One hit so we'd have safe water in an emergency. There's a formula of X amount of bleach to X amount of water.)

Old 06-16-2012, 08:29 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Good post. Maybe bleach is a So Cal thing. (That's where I used it.) One El Nino winter with a lot of rain and damp and everyone I knew was using bleach to clean mold and mildew.

(I also kept plain bleach handy to use in case the Big One hit so we'd have safe water in an emergency. There's a formula of X amount of bleach to X amount of water.)
Could be a California thing...interesting thought. I remember my great grandmother using "bluing" to make her whites seem whiter and my grandmother and mother hung their clothes on a line until I was in high school - the sun is a great whitener. Now, we only see clotheslines in rural and semi-rural areas when we travel around our state (Kentucky)....they aren't even allowed in our subdivision. I always buy white bath towels, kitchen towels and bed sheets so that I can use bleach to get rid of germs and whiten them. The alternative is to use hot water to kill the germs and that is hard on clothes and expensive to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden