U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 03:01 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Something the instructor of our agronomy class told us could be done (and I've seen the results of it) is a way to use Round Up to kill a tree. If you can drill a hole into a tree without being caught and drill it to the center, pour full strength Round up in the hole. It does kill the tree.
The wife sprayed some weeds on the driveway and then the next day hosed off some rug that was dirty. Within a week the elm in front of the house almost died but the side branches lived and took over for the main trunk.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 03:05 PM

183,827 posts, read 74,970,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The wife sprayed some weeds on the driveway and then the next day hosed off some rug that was dirty. Within a week the elm in front of the house almost died but the side branches lived and took over for the main trunk.
But the question is what did she spray them with? Was it the original formula Roundup or something else. Some things contain some really bad things that will kill even a hardy oak. I know someone who did but it was not with roundup. My oak tree is growing like a weed after killing the grass from around it. No more grass stealing its food.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:11 PM

5,162 posts, read 10,475,839 times
Here a way to get rid of weeds in a flower bed.

1 - use a liquid weed killer.
2 - use only when the weeds are larger than a plastic baggie (the sandwich size kind)
3 - pour a bit of the liquid into the bag, then put the weed inside the bag (do not pull the weed out of the ground) and close with a rubber band.
4 - the weed leaves will soak up the weed killer and thus will kill the roots eventually.

A little bit complicated but safe to do around your precious flower plants.

Also, pulling them out, does often not work, because the roots of some weeds are waaayyy down there ...

Old 06-12-2012, 04:22 PM

15,824 posts, read 18,434,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I am getting weeds growing through the mulch and lifting their ugly head. They are just getting too many to pull by hand. These weeds crawled through 2 inches of mulch, tough little buggers.

Is it safe to spray round-up on weeds without hurting my plants & trees? I worry if the chemical will stay in the soil and get soaked up by the plants I want to keep and killing them instead.

TIA.
No. Look for preen...works real well. There are also others that work on already established weeds....Just make sure you get something that kills only weeds not your plants. Read carefully, some wanted plants are susceptible to weed killers.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:34 AM

18,107 posts, read 16,448,492 times
I planted some winter squash, butternut squash. I see one at least coming up. Is it safe for me to use an insecticidal soap spray on it to keep slugs off when its this young? I planted zucchini and the slugs got to it and pretty much skeletonized it. I planted another and used the spray and thats kept them at bay as well as on some marigolds. They went after young tomatoes too but the danger seems past and the spray has kept them off them too.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:15 AM

956 posts, read 3,486,985 times
Slugs can be controlled by setting a pan or dish filled with beer in the garden. Set the top of the dish at ground level. The slugs will find it, crawl in for the beer and drown.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:45 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,485,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
Slugs can be controlled by setting a pan or dish filled with beer in the garden. Set the top of the dish at ground level. The slugs will find it, crawl in for the beer and drown.
I swear this has never worked for me...not sure what I am doing wrong.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:58 PM

183,827 posts, read 74,970,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I swear this has never worked for me...not sure what I am doing wrong.
I've heard so many things since the 70's to try that didn't work I'm a skeptic. Even with Roundup. Partial kills common.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:15 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,309,162 times
I have a bad back, but I still pull weeds by hand.
I do it on the mornings I water...soak a bed, then pull the itty bitty weeds that are no bigger than a thumbnail when the ground is nice and soft, they come right up. It doesn't take long, a few minutes per bed. If you stay on top of the situation, it's super easy to control without having to spend money on sprays.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:33 PM

21 posts, read 48,048 times
I weeded my shade gardens in spring by hand. What a job -- so much creeping charlie. I'm hesitant to use weed killer as I sometimes let my cat outdoors for a walk and he eats grass. Creeping charlie is back and you'd never know I weeded so carefully. Been catching up on some weeding this week since the humidity has been low but the respite won't last long. Most people around here treat their lawns for weeds, and I see their dogs out lying in the grass, so they must feel like it's safe, but I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden