Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 06:18 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,986,199 times

Advertisements

How can I get rid of them? I am worried that my dog will get one and he will get sick. I tried to chase one but they are very fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 06:30 PM

14,199 posts, read 11,447,661 times
My cat caught a toad once, and it released a fluid that made my cat foam at the mouth and spit frantically for a few minutes while the toad hopped nonchalantly away. It didn't kill my cat or even hurt him, just obviously tasted terrible. It's the toad's self-defense mechanism. If your dog ever catches a toad, he'll learn a lesson and never do it again.

Toads are good to have; they eat insects. No earthly reason to get rid of them. And I don't know how you would go about that anyway without coating your entire yard in poison.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:34 PM

14,641 posts, read 14,734,000 times
I'm assuming you are referring to the Sonoran Desert toads of Arizona? Yes, they have poisonous glands on their skin that secretes a neurotoxin that can kill a big dog. There is no known anti-toxin.

Toads are every gardener's helper and are usually welcomed by all gardeners in the know, but not if they are toxic toads who are around pets and children. If the ones you have on your place are really tiny that means that they are babies from a new hatch that came from where there is water somewhere nearby. I believe it's not legal to kill them as they are now a protected species, besides which they perform a vital service in nature. They won't hang around for very long if they are made unwelcome. I think there is not much you can do to get rid of them but the key word here with toads (poisonous or not) is to DISCOURAGE them. Discourage, discourage, discourage !!! About all you can do is discourage them from hanging around on your property until they give up in disgust and go away on their own accord to find more favourable and friendly territory.

You can discourage them by not ever putting out water or dog food for your dog anywhere that the toads can get at it. Don't leave any other containers of any kind outside with standing water in it where toads can reach it, such as a bird bath or children's wading pool, or containers of plants with water overflow catch trays under them. Check regularly under garden plants in the ground and in plant containers for toad burrows or for toads sheltering under the leaves of the plants. They love to shelter in damp, dark places. Don't leave out any over turned buckets, boxes or plant pots, nor wood piles or piles of brush or yard decorations or other odds and ends that the toads can burrow out and crawl under to make a den under it. If you have a rock garden make sure there are no hidey-holes between and under big rocks that toads can hide inside. If you have a bug-light and zapper outside, do NOT turn it on as the light and both live bugs and zapped bugs will attract hundreds of toads at night and they will leave a horrible mess of toad poops in front of your doorsteps and on patios. If you have a crawl space under your house that toads can access from outside, then block all access ways so they can't hide under your house. Likewise if you have a dog house, make sure there is no access to under the dog house. Make sure that the outside faucet does not have a drip.

Last but not least, keep an eye on your dog when he's outside and monitor him closely to make sure he doesn't catch or lick a toad. If he does, call your vet.

https://arizonadailyindependent.com/...lic-and-toxic/

Pets & Poison | Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center

Poisonous toads

The Colorado River toad, also known as the Sonoran Desert toad, found in Arizona, is toxic to dogs when they lick or swallow it. Your pet may also suffer if a toad sits in the dog's drinking water for a long enough period. The poison in the toad's skin may produce effects ranging from severe discomfort to paralysis and death.

If your dog has come in contact with this toad:
  • If the toxin touches the dog's eyes or inside of the mouth, flush the affected area with running water.
  • In the mouth, run the water from one side of the outside of the mouth to the other side. This allows the toxic rinse water to run out of the mouth instead of down your dog's throat.
  • Take your dog to a veterinarian if there are unusual symptoms or the dog has eaten the toad.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-17-2018 at 08:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden