Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:23 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times

Advertisements

remember you are getting into the cold season be careful what you transplant now because it might not have enough time to set a good root system before the first freeze.
you might want to wait and start any seed inside 6 to 8 weeks before the last freeze you can get grow lights and warming pads to put under the seed starter trays

I agree with cil ferns and hostas in the "rain garden" would be amazing

My brother has a dry stream bed on his property in PA and has the most amazing wild flowers growing along the bank this would be a good look for the stream area.
I would get any bulbs in though this fall so you have some color in spring
You can roto till the sandy area and it would be the perfect spot for plants that don't like "wet feet"
Just think how much fun you will have this winter plotting out the new beds.
Look for a book that is called either "perfect plant perfect place" or "right plant right place"
Brain dead tonight so I can't remember the exact title

karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 05:52 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Thanks, K -- all good advice.

I have a great cellar, and probably can make a tiny bit a potting shed.

And, I forgot about bulbs. Any good resource online you recommend over another. All I can think of is ole Burpee.

Yes, fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
remember you are getting into the cold season be careful what you transplant now because it might not have enough time to set a good root system before the first freeze.
you might want to wait and start any seed inside 6 to 8 weeks before the last freeze you can get grow lights and warming pads to put under the seed starter trays

I agree with cil ferns and hostas in the "rain garden" would be amazing

My brother has a dry stream bed on his property in PA and has the most amazing wild flowers growing along the bank this would be a good look for the stream area.
I would get any bulbs in though this fall so you have some color in spring
You can roto till the sandy area and it would be the perfect spot for plants that don't like "wet feet"
Just think how much fun you will have this winter plotting out the new beds.
Look for a book that is called either "perfect plant perfect place" or "right plant right place"
Brain dead tonight so I can't remember the exact title

karla

Old 09-26-2007, 05:23 AM

sigh
all that land and a cellar boy I am really jealous now !!!
I actually put myself on a plant buying ban because I never though I would say this but "I have to many plants"
I am going to have to start pawning some off to friends and neighbors
lol I can see it now
"I am so glad you came over to visit, here's a plant"

I actually love the burpees catalog I remember way back when I was little we would go to my grandpas and I would spend hours reading the catalog looking at all the picture of the fruits and veggies and flowers.

I would check to see if you can order and get delivery from burpees in time to get them in the ground this year if not you may have to check with your local nurseries

Old 09-26-2007, 05:28 AM

Yes, a cellar as wide as the house (no measurements) but rather big and I cleaned it out; working on getting out the bad smells, and keeping the door open during these beautiful days (we are having remarkably good weather--thus far).

I just received a notice from the Burpees and the National Garden Assn (I always stayed connected to green ) and it appears they both have some bulbs to offer--tulips and lilies. I'll check to see what delivery is and what I can get.

Much thanks K...and come visit.

Quote:
sigh
all that land and a cellar boy I am really jealous now !!!
I actually put myself on a plant buying ban because I never though I would say this but "I have to many plants"
I am going to have to start pawning some off to friends and neighbors
lol I can see it now
"I am so glad you came over to visit, here's a plant"

I actually love the burpees catalog I remember way back when I was little we would go to my grandpas and I would spend hours reading the catalog looking at all the picture of the fruits and veggies and flowers.

I would check to see if you can order and get delivery from burpees in time to get them in the ground this year if not you may have to check with your local nurseries

Old 09-26-2007, 06:32 AM

how far are you from phila
next time we go home you never know

Old 09-26-2007, 06:41 AM

Just did a mapquest---less than 175 miles.

Quote:
how far are you from phila
next time we go home you never know

Old 09-26-2007, 10:02 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Love the site, really beautiful !

I agree - big drifts of gently-colored bulbs and soft ornamental grasses would look superb. Ferns too for their beautiful green and structure .

There's a company called Santa Rosa Gardens that has some gorgeous ornamental grasses - Sweet Flag, Sedge & Carex, Hakone.......so many nice grasses!

Here's a link to their site, they'll send you a small catalog too if you want:

http://www.santarosagardens.com/

Old 09-26-2007, 11:22 AM

see otr
you need riveree and I to do your landscaping

Old 09-26-2007, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the link and suggestions. I am golng to take our State's Master Garden program as soon as it comes up, but taking a compost workshop on Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Love the site, really beautiful !

I agree - big drifts of gently-colored bulbs and soft ornamental grasses would look superb. Ferns too for their beautiful green and structure .

There's a company called Santa Rosa Gardens that has some gorgeous ornamental grasses - Sweet Flag, Sedge & Carex, Hakone.......so many nice grasses!

Here's a link to their site, they'll send you a small catalog too if you want:

Ornamental Grasses & Perennial Plants for the Garden.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:13 PM

Can always use good advice.

Quote:
see otr
you need riveree and I to do your landscaping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden