Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,809 times

Advertisements

I am preparing a new plot for my blueberries. It is hard clay;almost cement-like. I have been turning soil over with spade, pick and tiller. I started over two weeks ago and I estimate about half is loosened and turned over. How can I do this? Are there compounds available that loosen clay, or what. Any tips are appreciated. Thank you.
Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 07:08 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,132,861 times
The best approach for you would be to get a guy with a loader to take off the top 2ft and haul it awayand replace it with suitable soil if your set on growing blueberries.

Maybe a few large containers with the bushes growing in them?

Blueberry growing presents a challenge for most gardeners because the plants need special growing conditions. They require acidic, well-drained soils.
Your clay will never drain.

Blueberry plants grow best in acid soils (pH 4.0 to 5.0) that are well-drained, loose, and high in organic matter. The soil water level should be at least one foot below the soil surface or roots will suffocate. Remember most garden soil is not good blueberry soil, so modification of the soil is frequently necessary

Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,810,694 times
I live in an area with heavy clay soil. Not only does the OP need to amend his current heavy clay soil with top soil and compost as he is working it but he should plant the blueberry bushes exclusively in peat moss (twice the size of the container).

Old 07-26-2012, 03:11 PM

45,027 posts, read 60,030,742 times
Peat moss.
Leaves.
Grass clippings.
Compost.

Till it in, add more then till it again. Put in more amendments and till it again. This may end up being a 2 year project, although maybe not, 450 sq. ft. is only 20 X 22 or so.

If you live where it freezes throw in amendments right before a hard freeze and till it so you have clods. The freezing will help break it down.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 07-26-2012 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-26-2012, 03:53 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,572,060 times
get someone with a tractor to first till it. and then start rebuidig the soil itself. if you have time then it cheap if not it can get expensive for real good top soil these days.Look before buying as it varies so much.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 7,809 times
Thank you for all the suggestions. After careful consideration here is my plan. I am here in South Carolina. I currently have approx 13 blueberry bushes. However they are planted to close together. I have been working with the Clemson Extension Service. The Rabbit eyes that I have should be 6’ apart in rows, and 12 feet between rows. I laid out a plot of 15 x 30 feet [approx]. The soil is rock hard clay. According to the ext serv, the soli should be amended 1/3 new soil with 2/3 native soil. I was cautioned against using peat moss for clay [excellent for sand, they say]. Yes, they quickest and most efficient way would be to first break up the clay, then remove the top 10-12 inches and mix in the 1/3 – 2/3 amount of native soil along with pine bark [for the acidity] and grass clippings, and leaves [for nitrogen] . Have decided against the back hoe or dozer [cost factor] and instead using my elbow grease. [using pick, spade, and hoe] With this heat, I am not spending to much time on my project. I am about half done. A .little here and a little there and you would be surprised how the dirt get moved. Again, I appreciate all your suggestions and has helped me in my decision making process. Once done with the proper soil and PH and nutrients, they blueberries should be fine. Hopefully by January, I will be ready to transplant my three year old blueberries. Keep those tips coming
Paul

Old 08-10-2012, 12:58 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,545,529 times
Commercial hydaulic trencher with the correct teeth for cutting through the soil will make short work of your problem. Rent it from Home Dept, Ace etc....

One person to operate.

I use them all the time to cut out planters in hard clay soils. I Can get down almost three feet with my Ride on Ditch Witch and it turns the soil into a workable fine dirt and much easier to ammend.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:28 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,793,162 times
quite honestly id probably say "screw it" and build UP instead lol. thats how ive been aproaching my veggies (hard TN red clay) buid a box however deep, fill it with GOOD stuff (mine are mostly rabbit poop lol) and tada...

but otherwise i agre with a trencher, would probably cut through alot asier than a base model tiller. use the trencher to get it done then use the tiller to keep turning it as your adding ammendments.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:40 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,845,993 times
you must really like blueberries!

Lived in Atlanta where I found out soon trying to till hard clay was a complete waste of time. I ended up just polishing the clay. So I did rent trencher everytime I needed a new bed. Removed top 10 to 12 inches, put aside next 12-16 inches, put in crushed rock for drainage - about 4-5 inches and then put back good garden soil with amendments. And built up. If I didn't put that stone in the bottom I was just making a clay planter which would not drain for the kind of gardening I was doing.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:44 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,792,890 times
I found clay soil in part of my backyard in Maine, and found it very easy to dig up and remove so I could replace it with loam. Mine wasn't bone dry and hard as bricks though, maybe because we had been watering the yard everyday trying to establish a lawn.
You could try using a sprinkler for about 15-20 minutes, 3 times a day for several days and see if the clay starts to soften up for easier digging. I wouldn't just water it all at once, it would probably turn into slippery slop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden