U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-05-2012, 07:01 PM

4,495 posts, read 3,157,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I have always done my own lawn care and don't mind it. I am seriously considering hiring a company to apply fertilizer and weed killer. I usually use Scott's fertilizer, crab grass preventer, etc. What I have had problems with are grubs and what appears to be lawn diseases like dollar spot, red thread and brown patch. The grubs are the worst and I have tried everything on the market. My neighbors who have the lawn companies fertilize their yards don't have the problem. I'm think they are using stronger chemicals then products like Scott's GrubEx or Lawn fungus Control. I have a rather large yard and a bag of the Scott's GrubEx is $38 or a similar product is about $38 and doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone have opinions of using a lawn company instead?
Here is one link that could help you:Home Remedies for Lawn Grubs | Garden Guides
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 08:55 PM

887 posts, read 848,083 times
When I lived in the Midwest I did all my yard work on weekends by myself, mowing in the summer, raking leaves in the fall. We have relatives here with 20 by 40 sq ft front yards who use a gardner

Old 08-05-2012, 08:58 PM

28,104 posts, read 22,881,067 times
Half an acre here...that's too much lawn and landscape for us. Especially when it's 105 outside.

Pay for a yard service once a week during greener times and 2 times a week in the winter.
Hate the noise.
Love how great it looks.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:47 PM

11,886 posts, read 10,606,448 times
Although I could take care of the yard better than any gardener, I hire professionals to do it. It frees up my time, and prevents me froim having the allergic reactions (sneezing, itchy, watery eyes). They come twice a month and it has worked out for 17 years.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:23 AM

17,195 posts, read 21,839,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
My neighbors who have the lawn companies fertilize their yards don't have the problem.
I'm think they are using stronger chemicals then products like Scott's...
They are.

Do some research on the ingredient lists...
and what chemicals are available from the local farm supply.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:54 AM

4,495 posts, read 3,157,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Half an acre here...that's too much lawn and landscape for us. Especially when it's 105 outside.

Pay for a yard service once a week during greener times and 2 times a week in the winter.
Hate the noise.
Love how great it looks.
When you are doing your own mowing you learn quickly not to mow when it is 105 degrees. Your grass does not grow very quick when it is 105 degrees. However; your lawn care service will still come every week and mow the grass (that does not have to be mowed) but that is what you are paying for.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:13 AM

20,142 posts, read 12,555,534 times
As a green industry professional it reads like you have the grass cutting in hand and just need spot contracting for other services such as weed maintenance.

There are professional services that are not your standard trim mow and blow outfits that could handle your weed issues specifically. However, if you are requiring extensive planter maintenence for weeds then I suggest you contact a Landscape contractor that does maintenence as well as design build.

Good luck.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:16 PM

3,647 posts, read 2,858,277 times
I love working in the yard and over the years I have used a mixture of my own work and hiring people for certain jobs. Many times it depended on what else was going on in life and what the budget allowed! I am so detail oriented that any normal weeding, etc. is going to be done to the nth degree. This is also why I probably wouldn't make any money doing landscape work -- I do a thorough job as opposed to a fast, cost effective one that the average person would be willing to pay for. There are some instances where it might be better to hire something done -- especially if it involves equipment you don't own, etc. Just figure out what works best for you budgets -- time and money ones both!

Old 08-11-2012, 09:34 PM

613 posts, read 723,385 times
Some friends told me that they ended up hiring lawn care, because they spent more money with grass seed, weed killer and time, but the lawn still looked distressed. Maybe they didn't used the right products or didn't apply "seed & weed" at the right time (I guess), or maybe the price for individual/resident at Home Depot, Lowe's is higher than the price for wholesale/contractor.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:02 PM

3,647 posts, read 2,858,277 times
Sometimes yard care and gardening are trial and error. Sometime it depends on the year --drought, too much rain, etc. Seriously -- the best thing I can recommend are seminars and classes at local garden centers and nurseries. I have always learned a lot from these businesses. They know the ins and outs of your local soil, growth zones, etc. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden