U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 08:18 AM

671 posts, read 1,469,067 times

Advertisements

We just move to a new house with a large back yard, there're a lot of weeds and I believed I got allergy from our yard with itchy, rash and red spots...

Do you need to hire a professional lawn care or you can take care the yard by yourself? Please share your experience.

We're in Perkasie, PA.

Thanks a lot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 09:15 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,731,620 times
We have 1/3 acre and do our own.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:31 AM

We have half acre now and there're many types of weeds , but the lawn is not too bad, we want to try maintain the lawn and kill the weed then eliminate allergy, too.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:04 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,094,645 times
Maintaining the lawn for a quality appearance requires a lot of time and money, especially for that much turf that you have.
If you're not interested in learning how to do it or your time is worth more than it costs to pay someone else, than you may find it worthwhile to hire someone to do it for you.

However many of the chemical application companies are not very good, are expensive and do their best to sell you unnecessary services such as tree and shrub "treatments" or extraneous lawn applications. You should definitely shop around and get references. The best references are from landscapers who often outsource their chems to companies that specialize just in chems.
You can do it yourself but again, you'll have to take the time, probably have to drive to a landscape supply house to get the necessary chems, and most important, you'll have to take the time to learn what is necessary.

And if you hire a service just for chemical applications, you'll still have to mow it and provide irrigation and if you don't provide that, the lawn will still look bad even with all the chemicals in the world.

You better believe I'm also going to use this opportunity to encourage you to consider phasing out your lawn area and restoring it to natural wooded habit, mother nature's low maintenance and beautiful landscaping. Doing so costs next to nothing and will add tremendous value to your property rather than be a breeding ground for allergens and be a continual battle against weeds, lawn diseases and pests requiring you to dump tons of cash into it to keep up.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:54 PM

13,163 posts, read 10,580,292 times
I have five acres that I maintain. This year I have not had to mow that many times. My specific area is suffering from a drought and the hot weather. However; this is one of the problems with contracting out your work to a lawn service – they will show up every week; whether or not you need your grass cut. You also have total control of the insecticides and herbicides that you use – when you do your own.

You can get a riding tractor for about a $1,000 that will easily take care of your half acre. I would guess that most tractors could probably cut your half acre in less than one hour. I don't think that I would get a bagging attachment because of your allergies – bagging and dumping the clippings could add another level of dust that you are exposed to. A small (cheap) gas rotary mower and a gas string trimmer would also help you get the job done.

Now you could weigh the cost compared to the services that would be available to you. Let's say about $1,500 for equipment. You would have to figure out how much your time is worth per hour and then compare that to the cost of the “professionals”. Don't forget that most of your equipment will last for many years – as long as it is not abused (stones and roots will considerably shorten the lifespan). There is also a certain pride that comes from doing this job yourself.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,291,500 times
If you are physically capable, you should have NO trouble maintaining your own property. I'm 61 yrs old and maintain 2 acres with much hand weeding around extensive rock work. I have John Deere equipment (the only way to go) and the highest quality pruners, etc. Good yard tools will reduce the wear and tear to your body and last and perform forever. I haven't seen a yard service yet that does as good as work as I do. You can learn alot from your local USDA agricultural extension agent and garden clubs. Just think of the self-satisfaction and the money you will save!

Old 08-04-2012, 07:56 PM

Of course we do cut the grass or trim the bushes, I just wonder about weeds control because some products might work with this weed but not with the others, that's why I asked about maintenance experience for green and healthy lawn.
We have a lawn rider, so there's no problem to mow the grass.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 PM

13,163 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
Of course we do cut the grass or trim the bushes, I just wonder about weeds control because some products might work with this weed but not with the others, that's why I asked about maintenance experience for green and healthy lawn.
We have a lawn rider, so there's no problem to mow the grass.
If you post a picture of your particular 'problem weed' there are many that can give you advice. You could also use your agricultural extension service that LivingDeadGirl mentioned previously for weed identification and advice.

By the way, even though I have not used them for a while; our PA Agricultural Extension service used to offer soil test kits for just nominal cost (the last one I picked up was only $4 many years ago). When I did the last test they sent me exact information on how much lime or fertilizer I needed to maintain my lawn. It takes the guess work out of it and save you money.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 AM

26,867 posts, read 57,900,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
....we do cut the grass or trim the bushes...
I just wonder about weeds control because some products...
What you need is education/information and some objective data to apply that to.
Start with the County extension agents office and some soil samples.

After you LEARN what your lawn NEEDS... then LEARN how/when to apply what.
It's not rocket science.

Little more than an hour pushing a spreader around the yard 3-5 times a year is needed.
What you put in that spreader and when... is the key.

Add to that basic recipe the occasional aeration and perhaps some irrigation,
then proper height on the mower blade (at different times of the season) and you're done.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:02 PM

4,686 posts, read 5,838,352 times
I have always done my own lawn care and don't mind it. I am seriously considering hiring a company to apply fertilizer and weed killer. I usually use Scott's fertilizer, crab grass preventer, etc. What I have had problems with are grubs and what appears to be lawn diseases like dollar spot, red thread and brown patch. The grubs are the worst and I have tried everything on the market. My neighbors who have the lawn companies fertilize their yards don't have the problem. I'm think they are using stronger chemicals then products like Scott's GrubEx or Lawn fungus Control. I have a rather large yard and a bag of the Scott's GrubEx is $38 or a similar product is about $38 and doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone have opinions of using a lawn company instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden