U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-12-2012, 02:04 PM

492 posts, read 748,319 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have three issues with my muscadine grape vine. I was wondering if anyone had some insight on how harmful these are, and what I should do. Thanks in advance!

1. Strange scraggly lines in some leaves. They start shiny and barely noticeable, as shown in pic 1:

Then they turn into visible furrows as shown here:

2. Tiny ant-like bugs on some of the stems:

3. And this is the worst - a white, mucous slime that has attached itself to various places on the stems and leaves. It's not a mold because THEY BREATHE! If you look closely (in person) you can see the slime moving in and out like something is in there, just waiting to get out!

Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 02:08 PM

644 posts, read 688,164 times
#1 and 2 are Leaf Miners. They don't usually do much harm.
As to the others, did you try a google for the terms you used?
You will likely find your answers there.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,329,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Agree that it is leaf miners in the first 2 pictures and they aren't considered harmful, just ugly looking leaves result from their activity.

Picture 3 looks like ants milking a group of aphids for their honeydew. A strong stream of water will help loosen both from the stem. If the aphids come back you may need an insecticide to get rid of them.

The white "gunck" sure looks like slime mold. The only other creature that might look like that are spittle bugs which excrete foamy bubbles as a kind of cover to make them harder to see for predators and protects them somewhat from insecticides. A strong spray of water every so often from the garden hose should remove them.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Leaf miners! Thanks!

Last edited by MrsRhythm; 08-14-2012 at 06:07 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Agree that it is leaf miners in the first 2 pictures and they aren't considered harmful, just ugly looking leaves result from their activity.

Picture 3 looks like ants milking a group of aphids for their honeydew. A strong stream of water will help loosen both from the stem. If the aphids come back you may need an insecticide to get rid of them.

The white "gunck" sure looks like slime mold. The only other creature that might look like that are spittle bugs which excrete foamy bubbles as a kind of cover to make them harder to see for predators and protects them somewhat from insecticides. A strong spray of water every so often from the garden hose should remove them.
Thank you so much! I haven't been as concerned about the leaf issues but the slime was a new one that I just found yesterday. It really freaked us out to see it breathing! Thanks for the terms you used, because despite my GOOGLING yesterday I did not find help - your post will help me find out more if I choose to do so. But sounds like the garden hose will be my best tool. Thank you again!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:53 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,754,443 times
With regard to #2:

My muscadines presented with the same insects on all new growth. I bought a ridiculously expensive tub of ladybugs and let my kids release them at the respective bases of my muscadine plants. That was REALLY big fun for them. It worked, too. Those ladybugs scoured everything off of the vines.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 467 times
I have a small worm eating my grape leaves it is yellow with black bands around the body. Can anyone help me on this?

Old 10-06-2014, 11:24 PM

28,505 posts, read 21,629,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heber Meeks View Post
I have a small worm eating my grape leaves it is yellow with black bands around the body. Can anyone help me on this?
Grape skeletonizers...

Western Grape Leaf Skeletonizer - What's That Bug?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden